Printer review by Thomas Sanladerer

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
uncle bens

Printer review by Thomas Sanladerer

Postby uncle bens » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Dear team of raise3d,
I know that the 3d printing nerd has a N2+ printer and is doing some kind of "print reviews" of it, but I would prefer a full review by Thomas Sanladerer (https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasSanladerer/featured). Actually I can't really understand why the 3d printing nerd is praising this printer so much. I think about the half of the prints he has showed in his videos failed or did not come out well. Moreover he is almost only printing in PLA, although Raise3D promises to handle with a lot of other materials as well. Also, why does he do prints in the size of his hand when he has a 3D printer, which is big enough to print a bedside table!? I don't want to judge him and he seems to be a friendly guy, but his "print reviews" seem to be biased and not well-founded.
I am actually thinking about buying a N2+ (with dual extruder) for quite a long time, but I'm still very unsure, because I haven't seen any real reviews about it. Although your company seems to be already big, there are really less videos on youtube and also almost no experiences on 3d hubs. As if there are no people who have reviewed your printer. This is really unusual and even emphasizes my doubts.
To be honest, I wouldn't buy a N2+ without seeing such a professional and full review by him or read that about several hundreds of people reviewed it very good on 3d hubs (there they can also point out the weaknesses and strengths of the printers). The reason I would love to see a full review by Thomas Sanladerer is, that he is a German engineer who already worked for 3d printer companies and is doing professional reviews of 3d printers, hot ends, filaments etc. for several years. Moreover he is quite famous for his professional and independent reviews, so that they even publish them on all3dp.com .
Furthermore he has a wide range through his 37k subscribers and I think there are quite a lot of people who are thinking similar or might even don't know your printers, because they haven't been reviewed.

It would be nice if you could get in touch with him. (In one of his videos he said, that he has already contacted you in the past).
Thanks in advance!

And yes I know, that I am posting on your official raise3d community page, but that's defnitely not the same as several hundred public 3d hubs reviews and professional reviews by an engineer, who is specialized on 3d printers and into the business for several years now.

best regards,

uncle bens

jmp

Re: Printer review by Thomas Sanladerer

Postby jmp » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:52 pm

While there are not a ton of reviews you do have an entire forum with hundreds of posts detailing people's experience with the printer. If there is something specific you would want to know just post it as a question, I'm sure people would be happy to answer.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:59 pm

While I understand your hesitation, in my view it is this simple:

*If you have prior 3D printing experience, buy a Raise3D printer along with a BondTech extruder and be amazed.

*If you have zero 3D printing experience and are a tinkerer, buy a Raise3D printer, (strongly consider the N1 single extruder). There aren't many users who take advantage of the ginormous print volume of the N2/N2+, in part because each print takes days, not hours. I have an N2 and have never needed the 12"x12". Also dual heads adds adds a lot of complexity that you will want to avoid if you are new to 3D printing. Upgrade to a BondTech after you have a couple of months of experience. Also you will need to purchase tools, so consider that cost too. Be prepared for a learning curve, 3D printing takes a few months at the very least to become proficient.

*If you have zero 3D printing experience and are not a tinkerer, I recommend that you do not purchase a 3D printer. There are currently no consumer 3D printers on the market that don't require tinkering. All printers clog at some point, so you will need to take stuff apart. The tech is still young.

*If you can find a better value for a 3D printer than a Raise3D printer, please point me to it, I would like to know about it.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:36 pm

uncle bens wrote:Dear team of raise3d,
I know that the 3d printing nerd has a N2+ printer and is doing some kind of "print reviews" of it, but I would prefer a full review by Thomas Sanladerer (https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasSanladerer/featured). Actually I can't really understand why the 3d printing nerd is praising this printer so much. I think about the half of the prints he has showed in his videos failed or did not come out well. Moreover he is almost only printing in PLA, although Raise3D promises to handle with a lot of other materials as well. Also, why does he do prints in the size of his hand when he has a 3D printer, which is big enough to print a bedside table!? I don't want to judge him and he seems to be a friendly guy, but his "print reviews" seem to be biased and not well-founded.
I am actually thinking about buying a N2+ (with dual extruder) for quite a long time, but I'm still very unsure, because I haven't seen any real reviews about it. Although your company seems to be already big, there are really less videos on youtube and also almost no experiences on 3d hubs. As if there are no people who have reviewed your printer. This is really unusual and even emphasizes my doubts.
To be honest, I wouldn't buy a N2+ without seeing such a professional and full review by him or read that about several hundreds of people reviewed it very good on 3d hubs (there they can also point out the weaknesses and strengths of the printers). The reason I would love to see a full review by Thomas Sanladerer is, that he is a German engineer who already worked for 3d printer companies and is doing professional reviews of 3d printers, hot ends, filaments etc. for several years. Moreover he is quite famous for his professional and independent reviews, so that they even publish them on all3dp.com .
Furthermore he has a wide range through his 37k subscribers and I think there are quite a lot of people who are thinking similar or might even don't know your printers, because they haven't been reviewed.

It would be nice if you could get in touch with him. (In one of his videos he said, that he has already contacted you in the past).
Thanks in advance!

And yes I know, that I am posting on your official raise3d community page, but that's defnitely not the same as several hundred public 3d hubs reviews and professional reviews by an engineer, who is specialized on 3d printers and into the business for several years now.

best regards,

uncle bens

Thanks for your suggestion. We will take this into consideration.
Joel only has the printer for a while and he has 10+ other printers, day job, kids and wife to take care of. It will take him some time to get familiar with the printer and then more materials and more prints. You will see more from him soon.
Tom is well-known, experienced and very professional and we have plans for him already.
Our N2+ is also in this year's Make Magazine shootout and those guys from Make are also very experienced and professional and most importantly neutral.

Also like said above, if you have any question, you can post it here. You can get answers from hundreds of active users who gets a real production machine rather than a review unit, which I believe is more important and precious.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:43 pm

uncle bens wrote:Dear team of raise3d,
I know that the 3d printing nerd has a N2+ printer and is doing some kind of "print reviews" of it.........
best regards,

uncle bens

What are you looking for from your printer? That's the question you have to ask.

We had a Wanhao Duplicator i3 and wanted to move up to the next level. After a lot of research, and following the Twitch stream and talking to the guys at ArtLabsKY - we decided to get an N1 Dual Extruder. I print PLA, PETG, TPU all day every day since I received it. While I have had some failures, they were all my fault. By the way, all of Joel's failures were his fault. And he admits them. The one with the blue filament coming off the bed, his fault. Breaking the throat tube, his fault. Both, he admitted. By the way, Joel is on the forums and is a great guy and will answer you here too if he sees the thread. He also responds on Twitter

I wish I didnt spend the $200 on dual extruder. I wish I saved it towards a Bondtech or the Mosaic palate. I dont use dual extrusion often. My goal was to use PolySupport and make it easy to remove from prints - but it doesnt seem to be the best option for PLA/PETG/TPU so it was a bad plan.

That said, I love my Raise3D N1 .... i print lots of quadcopter parts in TPU, and personal parts in PETG and sometimes PLA. I dont do ABS, but I know it does ABS nicely. There are some very talented long-time 3dprinter owners and operators using N1 and N2+, such as JetGuy and JuliaT ... and dozens more. Go look at the User Gallery.

Are there other printers in the same price range? Sure. Do they offer everything you need? The Ultimaker 2+ is gorgeous, and about $2500 same as my N1 Dual Extruder. However, it doesnt handle flexible filament well - a problem for me. It does make nozzle changes super easy, and I hope that's a future improvement on the Raise, as I am not a very mechanically inclined user :) Im a Newb

So - do your research, dont only rely on reviews for people who get free printers (by the way, I was a wine blogger for 4-5 years, doing television and other reviews on wine, 10,500 twitter followers, thousands on InstaGram and Facebook, etc. I never reviewed the free wine people sent me. I preferred it when I paid for my wine in reviews because I could then be HONEST about the review. The free wine only got reviews if it was worth drinking .... not everyone who blogs or reviews has the same ideals. For most, it's all about how much free stuff can they get. Talk to people who have paid good money for the printer and get their input.)

I'm definitely a fan of my printer. It was a nice investment. I plan on starting a Hub one day when I'm not flying my quadcopters, or working to buy my next printer :)

Good luck!

Evan

Postby Evan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 pm

I have my Raise3D on 3DHubs, but I have never been asked to review/rate it like all my other printers. Perhaps it's still too new. Like you, I find Thomas Sanladerer to be more of a credible authority on the subject of FDM. In fact, he's the only person I have ever supported on Patreon. His reviews are sound, thorough, straight forward and honest. That isn't meant to take anything away from the other reviewers on YouTube. I still watch their videos from time to time; I just don't rely on them to make decisions. With that said, my Raise3D N2+ is just about the best investment I've ever made. I was #4 backer of the campaign after seeing the prototype at a trade show. There were some minor shortcomings with the early model of the N2/N2+, but I got through them fairly quickly and painlessly due to how responsive and open the R3D team has been from the beginning. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this printer to anyone. If I had the fund, I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

uncle bens

Postby uncle bens » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:53 pm

Sorry for the late response. I already read your post straight away, but I just didn't answer (had too much to with uni and so on).

I really hope that Joel will read and response to my post but obviously he doesn't. Or why didn't he answer to the last couple of critical comments on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcaNlz_55Ho) which all dealed with the mentioned things.
I definitely do not trust him anymore. The things he says aren't well-founded enough (actually even contradictory).

I would really love to see more big prints in ABS, PC, Nylon and maybe even flexible materials. But almost everyone on youtube seems to print in PLA with this machine. And also in the gallery of this forum I haven't seen a lot big prints on the N2+ with these materials. Would be awesome if you could do some of these. Just print some of these big Eiffel towers showed in the promotion video of the crowdfounding campaign with the mentioned materials and give some info on the print settings and how often you tried to finish them.

Moreover I wondered how this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEjiq8GC0mk) can have a layershift!? I mean, normally layer shifts are caused when the motors are not well adjusted. I actually expected that they would be properly preadjusted by Raise3D.
Aren't sure but I think have seen such layer shifts with the Raise3D printers somewhere else as well.

Best regards,

uncle bens

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:12 am

Here are some shots of large prints I have done, I have used PETG and ASA (similar to abs) for my parts. As for layer shift, I have found that the ideamaker slicer is not the smartest slicer when it comes to travel paths. I get around that by everytime i retract I do a z lift 0.01 mm higher than the print, and make sure the x/y gantry is tight. Not many slips after that.

I have never really watched that blokes videos, they seem more theatrical than practical.

IMG_6203.JPG

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:17 am

IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:04 am

uncle bens wrote:Sorry for the late response. I already read your post straight away, but I just didn't answer (had too much to with uni and so on).

I really hope that Joel will read and response to my post but obviously he doesn't. Or why didn't he answer to the last couple of critical comments on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcaNlz_55Ho) which all dealed with the mentioned things.
I definitely do not trust him anymore. The things he says aren't well-founded enough (actually even contradictory).

I would really love to see more big prints in ABS, PC, Nylon and maybe even flexible materials. But almost everyone on youtube seems to print in PLA with this machine. And also in the gallery of this forum I haven't seen a lot big prints on the N2+ with these materials. Would be awesome if you could do some of these. Just print some of these big Eiffel towers showed in the promotion video of the crowdfounding campaign with the mentioned materials and give some info on the print settings and how often you tried to finish them.

Moreover I wondered how this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEjiq8GC0mk) can have a layershift!? I mean, normally layer shifts are caused when the motors are not well adjusted. I actually expected that they would be properly preadjusted by Raise3D.
Aren't sure but I think have seen such layer shifts with the Raise3D printers somewhere else as well.

Best regards,

uncle bens

I have printed alot with ABS and it works very well. This print is as big a could do it on the N1 printer and it took about 50 hours to complete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r9MfCCws6k

I also have a N2 plus at the job and i have just completed a 70 hours print perfectly. You
will always find some things that needs tweaking with any printer. For me a Bondtech extruder is mandatory with a Rasie3d printer, it just makes it so much better.

sylus

Postby sylus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:22 am

Same for me I printed ApolloX (ASA) and it print very well with N2 plus.
I printed with origin extruder and recently upgraded with Bontech Dual kit and first results was good regarding under extrusion and Clogging issues

uncle bens

Postby uncle bens » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:48 am

@ sylus, Trhuster and Brad: Thanks for your response and your pictures I really appreciate that. How many shots had been necessary for those prints?

Which bondtech extruders did you use for upgrading? This one: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits ... rev-2.html ?

Have you also done some big prints in Nylon and Polycarbonate?

Thanks in advance!

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 am

uncle bens wrote:@ sylus, Trhuster and Brad: Thanks for your response and your pictures I really appreciate that. How many shots had been necessary for those prints?

Which bondtech extruders did you use for upgrading? This one: http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/upgrade-kits ... rev-2.html ?

Have you also done some big prints in Nylon and Polycarbonate?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to use dual extruder so yes the linked items is what you want. Be sure to order matching rev to your own printhead.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”