PID Tuning

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
rlballard

PID Tuning

Postby rlballard » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 am

Has anyone done any PID tuning to the Raise system. I have done this with my other printers using Repetier and running a command line:

M303 S215 C8

I like the 8 cycles because it really lets me hone in on the right temps, I normally run this 5 times. A long process but lets me hold within a couple of degrees. So If I connect my PC to the USB port on the system, Yes Im scared....., will I be able to run the PID?

Thanks for the help...
BB

firesped

Re: PID Tuning

Postby firesped » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 am

I've done it with mine but you have to compile your own firmware with the new settings. I have found the new heater rods and thermal couple are much better then then the ones that came with my printer. My printer is able to heat up to temperature in a matter of seconds, it seems like.

actually I just had to replace a nozzle on printer and actually pulled off doing it. I cut off my insulation. heated up the hotend. removed the nozzle. then installed the new nozzle without removing the throat tube from the heater block. Then I let the hotend cool off, removed it from the printer and put insulation back on it. This time I made sure not to cover the top with the ceramic fiber so it can still radiate heat up ward.

after I had it reinstalled, I went back in with octoprint and reran PID tuning to correct the PID since the insulation is changed.

I tried to run PID on the hotbed but I ran it at the wrong temp and I didn't go back in to run it at the right temp. You have to run it at M303 E-1 S90 C8. S90 is the max you should use because it will over shoot the temp on the heatbed and will shutdown the system if it goes over 119.

some notes about octoprint. to run octoprint on the touchscreen computer, you have to kill the process running the touchscreen software. the touchscreen is going to be displaying the last known image of that software. octoprint is remote access via another computer into the printer. the only benefit is gives is access to command line control of the printer. which actually made me thing of a request for ideamaker I am going to go post right now.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:18 am

If you want to get the current PID value. Connect the motion controller board and your PC with USB wire. Run M303 in Arduino and you can get the current value.

If you want to change the PID value. You need to download our firmware and compile the firmware with the PID value you need. And update the modified firmware to the printer.

dmtulsa

Postby dmtulsa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 am

So if I understand this correctly changing the PID Value from the touch screen does nothing. That what it sounds like if it must be done in firmware. I'd rather do it in firmware anyway

Return to “General”