Mid-print restart fails to bond

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vagulus

Mid-print restart fails to bond

Postby Vagulus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:43 am

I just had to reprint the manifold (orange bits) on my bellows pump cylinder head
210926_Air Pump Cylinder Head.png

As it printed (AP-03-006) the filament was binding as it came off the reel. I had to pause the print and manually rewind the filament. On restart there was an obvious fault line in the print
210926_Manifold Crack.png

which failed to bond at all on the other side
210926_Manifold Crack No Adhesion.png

It is not the first time I have had this issue. It seems that when restarting the firmware forgets to turn on the filament feed motors for a while, i.e. extrusion is very late starting.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Did you fix it?
How did you fix it?
Attachments
AP-03-006 (mirrored).stl
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Mid-print restart fails to bond

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:22 am

Vagulus wrote:I just had to reprint the manifold (orange bits) on my bellows pump cylinder head
210926_Air Pump Cylinder Head.png

As it printed (AP-03-006) the filament was binding as it came off the reel. I had to pause the print and manually rewind the filament. On restart there was an obvious fault line in the print
210926_Manifold Crack.png

which failed to bond at all on the other side
210926_Manifold Crack No Adhesion.png

It is not the first time I have had this issue. It seems that when restarting the firmware forgets to turn on the filament feed motors for a while, i.e. extrusion is very late starting.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Did you fix it?
How did you fix it?

If the filament is tangled on the spool while printing the extruder gears will continue to pull the filament until the tension is too tight at which point the gears will begin to slowly grind the filament away. If you did not unload (Cut off ground section of filament) and re-load the machine before you restarted the print that ground section will be extruded incorrectly causing an inconsistent layer.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:08 am

I paused the machine and removed the reel of filament. Then I wound the filament off the original reel onto another reel ensuring that there were no bind-ups so that the filament would come off the new reel without problems. Then I reloaded the new reel of filament and returned to printing.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:12 am

Vagulus wrote:I paused the machine and removed the reel of filament. Then I wound the filament off the original reel onto another reel ensuring that there were no bind-ups so that the filament would come off the new reel without problems. Then I reloaded the new reel of filament and returned to printing.

There is a good possibility that when the filament was bound on the spool it continued printing without extruding any material. This would cause the small gap that you are seeing in the finished model.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 am

My Bad. :oops: I wasn't perfectly clear. :cry:

I heard the reel clanking because if the binding of the filament and paused the printing before it locked up the filament feed completely. There was no time when the machine was trying to print with the filament feed stopped. It only got to the stage of raising the reel before the filament pulled clear.

As I said, I paused the print before any stoppage and rewound the filament onto another reel.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:13 am

Vagulus wrote:My Bad. :oops: I wasn't perfectly clear. :cry:

I heard the reel clanking because if the binding of the filament and paused the printing before it locked up the filament feed completely. There was no time when the machine was trying to print with the filament feed stopped. It only got to the stage of raising the reel before the filament pulled clear.

As I said, I paused the print before any stoppage and rewound the filament onto another reel.

There is a possibility that the bind on the filament role may have caused enough resistance to cause the extruder to skip a few steps before you were able to pause the print. This would cause the gap that you are seeing.

Return to “General”