weird banding on some models - advice on how to fix?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dri

weird banding on some models - advice on how to fix?

Postby dri » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm

When printing architectural base models of with columns and slabs, I always get these weird bands along the tops and bottoms of the large flat surfaces. I'm not exactly sure what the correct term for them is, but it doesn't happen on other types of 3D models. The whole slab portion of the model seems to actually thicken and taper in a pattern.

These kinds of models are printed on their sides and the columns are done with bridging. This lets the model get printed all at once. Depending on which side the model is printed, the banding effect happens in the same direction as the layers are printed. It always aligns with the columns.

The printer bed is flat, I rarely need to use brims, so I don't think its a printer bed thing. Is there a name for this problem and a way to troubleshoot it?

Printer: Raise3D Pro2
Filament: Raise3d PLA or eSUN PLA+ (the eSUN PLA+ is better)
Settings: attached. the layer height doesn't make a noticeable difference and these models need to get printed fast as possible because there isn't any fine detail worth the extra time of a fine layer.

Here are some pictures and the idea file to explain:

Here is how it looks in idea maker just to show that none of that occurs there:

Idea File:
https://we.tl/t-P7Bcxfv21O
Attachments
wings_16th_update.zip
ideaMaker print settings
(982.53 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
!Speed - Pro2 - eSUN PLA Plus-BedTemp+FasterEdits+BridgingSpeed-export.bin
gcode + data files
(22.3 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Steven@Raise3D

Re: weird banding on some models - advice on how to fix?

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:03 am

The lines that are appearing in your prints could be due to the part wobbling during printing​. This could be an issue between the design of the model and the speed that you are attempting to print at. Reducing the speed could reduce this effect.

Another option that may help is to print the model on a raft. This could give it more stability during the print.

dri wrote:When printing architectural base models of with columns and slabs, I always get these weird bands along the tops and bottoms of the large flat surfaces. I'm not exactly sure what the correct term for them is, but it doesn't happen on other types of 3D models. The whole slab portion of the model seems to actually thicken and taper in a pattern.

These kinds of models are printed on their sides and the columns are done with bridging. This lets the model get printed all at once. Depending on which side the model is printed, the banding effect happens in the same direction as the layers are printed. It always aligns with the columns.

The printer bed is flat, I rarely need to use brims, so I don't think its a printer bed thing. Is there a name for this problem and a way to troubleshoot it?

Printer: Raise3D Pro2
Filament: Raise3d PLA or eSUN PLA+ (the eSUN PLA+ is better)
Settings: attached. the layer height doesn't make a noticeable difference and these models need to get printed fast as possible because there isn't any fine detail worth the extra time of a fine layer.

Here are some pictures and the idea file to explain:

Here is how it looks in idea maker just to show that none of that occurs there:

Idea File:
https://we.tl/t-P7Bcxfv21O

Return to “General”