Filament Runout Sensor Issues with Pro2 and E2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
varrus1975

Filament Runout Sensor Issues with Pro2 and E2

Postby varrus1975 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:11 am

A lot of the parts I print use transparent filament. This results in my printers constantly stopping due to the optical filament runout sensors used on both the E2 and Pro2 machines. It also happens on some white material I use.
In order to keep the machines running I have to disable the runout sensors. This is not really desirable to do on the 60-90 hour prints I am doing and I don't want to end up with lots of partial spools sitting around because I cannot use them to the end.

Is there a mechanical sensor upgrade available that can replace the optical sensors? Or is there a way to tune the optical sensors to be more suitable for transparent filaments such as Polymaker Polycast and Polylite PLA Natural?
I really need to be using these sensors.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament Runout Sensor Issues with Pro2 and E2

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:39 am

Unfortunatly, there is no mechanical upgrade for the Run-out Sensor so far.
Most filaments should work running through the optical sensor however you may find that some very clear/transparent filaments may not trigger the sensor.

varrus1975

Postby varrus1975 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:29 am

Hi Vicky. Thanks for the reply.
The materials we are mostly using are natural or transparent. No chance to change that unfortunately. When we use opaque filaments the sensors work great.
One thing I do notice though, is on the E2 it is always the same sensor (right side) that causes the machine to pause. This might suggest a difference in calibration or sensitivity, which could be a possible route towards a solution.
I have seen that others have also experienced similar issues. It would be good if there could be some suggestion on a fix for this in the future.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:01 am

Would you mind open a support ticket regarding the question you have raised above? I'm that very sure about the answer.
May need our technicians review together with R&D team.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:56 am

varrus1975 wrote:Hi Vicky. Thanks for the reply.
The materials we are mostly using are natural or transparent. No chance to change that unfortunately. When we use opaque filaments the sensors work great.
One thing I do notice though, is on the E2 it is always the same sensor (right side) that causes the machine to pause. This might suggest a difference in calibration or sensitivity, which could be a possible route towards a solution.
I have seen that others have also experienced similar issues. It would be good if there could be some suggestion on a fix for this in the future.

I have the same problem on my E2, but on the LH side.

I was using a reel of white PLA and when it ran out it triggered the sensor as it should...fine.
Since I put another reel of PLA in I have the same problem as you, the sensor keeps pausing prints meaning that I can only run with the sensors switched off...not a good situation to have.

It seems that once the sensor has been triggered it will constantly pause prints !

I'm now wondering if the filament runs out on the RH side and I put a new reel in it will start repeatedly pausing with that extruder as well.
If it does it will make the printer virtually unuseable for me.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:11 am

Here are some steps I'd like to ask you to give a try:
- Unload filament
- Remove the PTFE tube from the quick coupler on the filament compartment
- Take a small peice of filament and pass if through the runout sensor on the filament box. When filament is detected the light should turn off and stay off. If the light flickers or comes back on the sensor may need to be re-aligned.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 pm

That doesn't seem to me to be any different than changing out an empty reel and putting a new one in.

The light does not come on when there is filament present even though the sensor pauses the print.
Anyway I think a solution has been found via my supplier and at the moment I seem to be printing without the sensor pausing the print.

If the solution works in my case I'll report back after the present nineteen hour print is finished.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 am

It seems the problem in my case is a faulty sensor.

I was asked to swap the sensor for the the RH one to try it, the print is nearly finished now after running since mid-day yesterday so I think in my case it's a sensor module fault.
https://support.raise3d.com/E2/how-to-r ... -1038.html

Next I will try the the faulty sensor that is now installed in the RH side just to confirm it is a faulty sensor.

Return to “Hardware”