My N1 is stopping mid-print - again

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
tja

My N1 is stopping mid-print - again

Postby tja » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi Vicky

I had this same problem last year, where my N1 stops mid-print. There are no error messages & the heated bed and extruder are keeping hot, but all motion has stopped. The touchpanel responds to presses, in that I can set the temperatures to say 0, but nothing actually happens. Similarly, pressing stop/pause, just gives the rotating arrow indication, but doesn't ever actually stop or pause the printer. Turning the power off then back on seems to let me continue the print. Today the same 1 hour 40 minute print stopped 3 times!

Last year I tried re-seating the USB cable several times, I fitted the ribbon cable safety mod, then fixed the problem by changing the temperature control pcb. It has been working flawlessly for over a year and now it's become unreliable again

It's running RaiseTouch version 1.2.1.428 and Motion Controller Firmware version 1.1.6-rev1. Automatic updates are turned on and the touch screen is telling me that it's 'Already on the latest version'. The download area of your website disagrees! Should I manually install the latest versions or are they not applicable to my machine?

Any other insights into what is going on?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: My N1 is stopping mid-print - again

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:47 am

Please update your Raisetouch firmware to the latest version.
And run your file again. If the issue still helps, please then export serial log. And share with us.

tja

Postby tja » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi Vicky, thanks for your fast response.

RaiseTouch now updated to 1.4.1 but...

Didn't get to re-run the print file because the N1 stopped responding during idle. I had turned the heaters on to swap over filament. They had reached temperature, but wouldn't do anything else. After a restart I noticed that the unload process was much slower than normal, possibly 3 or 4 times slower to back out the filament. Then I tried a test print on the other extruder. Again much slower, so no filament pushed out during the prime cycle. Checked the E-steps were okay and they were set to 415, which is correct for my Bondtech motors.

What do you think is going on? Is this a bug in RaiseTouch 1.4.1?

I have attached the serial log
Attachments
all-raisetouch-781-20200714124207.tar.gz
(800.15 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:09 am

Would you like to provide a small video of what you are seeing with the small motors? As well as your gcode file.

tja

Postby tja » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:29 pm

I have included three short video clips showing the slow extruder motor problem. all using the N1 standard load and unload filament commands. This is where I first noticed the problem. It's the same on both extruders and is the same when trying to print a model.

The extruder nozzle was fully primed before this first clip...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lz2q9i1qow98 ... 1.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p7ia6c09bxov ... 2.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz4uvb73ew3d6 ... 3.mp4?dl=0

How do I roll back to the previous version RaiseTouch software? It would be interesting to see if that solves the slow motor problem.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 am

You can find the rollback versions from the following link:
https://www.raise3d.com/download/raiset ... -versions/

Actually I didn't really get the motor issue you decribed before in your video. If rollback can fix the issue, I would appreciate see more videos when the issue has gone to compare with the videos you share above.

tja

Postby tja » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am

The rollback software solved the motor issue.

Running a normal filament loading sequence from the Utilities menu...
- with RT 1.4.1 software the extruder motor takes 12.5 seconds for 1 revolution
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lz2q9i1qow98 ... 1.mp4?dl=0

- with RT 1.2.1 software the extruder motor takes 2.8 seconds for 1 revolution, some 4.5 times faster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkqqiwyn57lye ... 1.mp4?dl=0

( BTW This is the third time I have written this post, the additional security added to this bulletin board keeps losing it!)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:02 am

Thanks for the update!
Would you like to help confirm when machine stopping in the middle of the print, is that still occurring or not?

tja

Postby tja » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Yes, it is still stopping mid-print. The only way to get it working again is to turn the power off and on. It saves the file and does a good job of carrying on from where it stopped, except that while idle it has usually oozed filament leaving a blob on the print.

Can you ask your engineers what would cause it to stop mid-print? I don't think the answer is - just change the motor driver pcb, or change the user interface pcb, because in all other respects they are working just fine.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 am

According to our experience, normally this issue is either related to touchscreen itself or firmware. But since your printer doesn't get fixed or either able to load firmware. We think the issue is highly related to the touchscreen itself.
Please contact your supplier to see how you can replace the touchscreen.

Return to “General”