E2 nozzle thread? Options for other sizes?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Kezzbian

E2 nozzle thread? Options for other sizes?

Postby Kezzbian » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:13 am

So it's been about 5 days with the E2, so good so far.
Genuinely love the machine, it's a nice combination of fantastic hardware from out in the community mixed with good design sense, the unit does not look out of place in my office which is a huge complement (Also think it would be harder for my coworkers to break this one)

I've been printing a lot of stuff, I even managed to tweak the IDEX mirror function to fit full sized face shields which currently has me able to produce 2 per 1.5 hours... But now that 0.4mm nozzle has become a bit of a limitation and I haven't found any documentation online for exactly what hotend the unit has and thus exactly what nozzles will work with it!

What is a 'V3P (V3 hotend with PTFE version)'? Is that compatible with the V3 nozzles that would work on the Pro2?

Also saying PTFE version... Does that imply there's a PTFE tube running through the hotend? According to MatterHackers it's "Very bad to print PETG with that kind of hotend..." (https://youtu.be/Y0OPx9yV_98?t=355) and right now I've been printing a lot of PETG.

Wish there was some kind of documentation about this somewhere but all I can find is the quick start guide. Put a lot of effort into engineering the machine but sadly not enough documenting it.

I'd like to get at least a 0.6mm nozzle so if anyone has any sources let me know!

Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: E2 nozzle thread? Options for other sizes?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:29 pm

The throat tube of the hotend does have a PTFE lining but it does not have come in contact with the heatzone of the hotend.
The hotend should have no issues with PETG and any materials within the 300C range.

We are preparing more documents for E2 at the moment. You will see more released in near future.

Kezzbian

Postby Kezzbian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:47 am

Good to know, thank you for your fast response

So since it's in the V3 family of hotends, does that make it compatible with nozzles from the Pro2 that are also in the 'V3' series?
Like these hardened ones for example:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1541879-REG/raise_3d_v3_hardened_nozzle_pack.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9D0BRCMARIsAIfvfIYADjtBtCgWNaQFiS06osEWlHtNRUe89yFxLIFdbXy1f4iqmQqqp7AaAg0PEALw_wcB

Also it seems implied because this hotend is smaller that you'd be able to swap nozzles without taking out the whole heater block (like I think you have to with the Pro2) is that the case? Either way the guided calibration should make swapping nozzles much easier on the E2 (or so I hope)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:04 pm

The thread of E2's nozzle is the same as Pro2. So if you want to use Pro2's nozzle on E2's hotend, that should fit. But sinde the overall components on E2 are smaller than Pro2, the nozzle swapping will be a little more harder than doing it on Pro2. And you will still need to take hotend off to do the swap as far as what I can see.
We are working on documentations. If you have more questions about how to deal with it, feel free to reach to our support at http://help.raise3d.com.

AMuf

Postby AMuf » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:29 am

Hi Vicky,

I reached out to support as you suggested but they said they didn’t speak my local language, which is English (UK) and I should contact my local representative. They have said I should speak to Raise3D support as there is no documentation on the E2.

Can you confirm when documentation will be available, it’s poor to not have this ready at release, especially something as simple as changing the nozzle!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 pm

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I got notified that we had released some documents for E2 last night. But changing nozzle is still on working.
Will ask the documentation team to release it as soon as they can.

Raise3D_User1

Postby Raise3D_User1 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:18 am

I can confirm that the 0.20 Raise3D hardened nozzle works in the E2. You have to do the Z probe calibration manually, though because the firmware calibration requires 0.40 nozzles for whatever unknown reason.

EDIT:While the nozzle physically works I have yet to get a successful ABS or PLA print out of the E2 with ideamaker slicing and the 0.20 Raise3D hardened nozzle. It's weird because the rafts look about as expected and the wipe tower looks perfect, but the print itself is a mess at all the settings I've tried.

Return to “Hardware”