Print Plate deforms strongly

Markus64

Print Plate deforms strongly

Postby Markus64 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:04 pm

With my fairly new Pro2 i can't get a good print. At first i thought it was me or the settings in Ideamaker. I called a technician today who recommended that i level the print bed. I am shocked! When cold, the print plate already shows a strong curvature from the center upwards, if temperature is added, the curvature increases from the center to the outer edge by up to 2 mm. At 3 mm, the print plate is too thin and not free of distortion, in my opinion a faulty construction. I am very disappointed because i can expect more from a device in this price range. To make matters worse, in order to solve the problem, i would have to make a special plate, which due to the design (magnets, etc.) would cost me a small fortune. If i rebuild the entire bed, i lose the guarantee. Does anyone have similar problems?
I'm already thinking about giving this printer back.

Raise, what do you say about this problem?

Best Regards,
Markus

Markus64

Re: Print Plate deforms strongly

Postby Markus64 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi @ll,

Since normal work with the printer is not possible and i do not want to return the printer for the time being, i will convert the print bed. More specifically, replace it with my own design. The highlight of the matter is that all conversions are carried out so that everything can be completely restored to the original condition. However, the bed height is 10 mm higher than the original. Leveling should be child's play after the conversion. If someone is interested, i will provide pictures and CAD files here. By changing the bed height, i would like to adjust the Z-Stop using software. I strongly suspect that this can be done in the developer settings, but without a password i cannot get into the settings. I could also solve this mechanically. Of course, it would be more elegant to store the new value in the firmware. I am sure that this could be done.
The printer cost me a lot of money and a lot of trouble. Not to mention the amount of time and money that the mod now costs me.

I would be very grateful to Raise if i could get help in this regard.

Best Regards,
Markus

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Are you sure you're not missing a decimal on your measurements?
A 2-3mm deviation from flat would be huge. .2mm is still a lot, but more understandable.

If you are seeing a rise in the center, I'm guessing it's actually slight sag of the cross rods supporting the print head. The simply supported rods of that length will sag slightly from the weight of the print head. My printer is the older N2. I have changed my bed to a 4-point adjustment without losing any height by using wave springs which provide the needed support and adjustment with just a few mm height.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Hi Zemlin, unfortunately this is not a measurement error. During test printing with ABS, the plate bulged upwards so that the nozzle pulled through the layers like a plow. I was able to push the plate up and down at the front with my thumb and index finger. Then i measured. I will use high temperature resistant silicone dampers instead of springs. A friend of mine developed the parts and also manufactures them myself. The dampers are superior to any spring, which is why i gladly accept the 10 mm increase.
The fault of this machine is and remains the print bed. The print head guides are ok.

I would be very happy to get help with Z-Stop from Raise.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 am

I thought you were saying the bed before printing was off by 2-3mm. What you're saying is that you're getting 2-3mm of warp in an ABS print. That is believable. ABS can be tricky material, and not all ABS filaments are created equal. I've had some that I've never been able to print with and others that work fine.

Who's ABS filament are you using? My favorite is Hatchbox. I've also had good results with eSun ABS+.

mdana

Postby mdana » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:23 am

How are you measuring the deviation in the print bed? If you are measuring the distance between the top of the bed relative to the nozzle, the apparent bulge in the center is due to deflection in the rods due to the weight of the print head. Having a perfectly flat print bed won’t solve the problem since the print head doesn’t move in a flat plane.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:02 pm

As I wrote, the bulge was visually visible. You can squeeze the huge gap with your thumb and forefinger. So it's not the guides. The 3 mm thick pressure plate simply warps under the influence of heat. For example, if I gently fix the two front set screws, I can no longer open them without pliers after the end of printing. The possibility of a removable print plate is basically a great solution, but it does not work with this device. I can report whether my mod is successful or not in 14 days.

Return to “Pro2 Series”