Bed Leveling - N2+ (My Experience & Solution)

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
resteele

Re: Bed Leveling - N2+ (My Experience & Solution)

Postby resteele » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 pm

to walshlg - I'm not sure that you understand: All the springs pull DOWN on the bed plate. Upward pressure (and exact location of the bed) is still provided by the 26 adjustment pins under the bed. The critical adjustment is in the 26 pins. The springs are "self adjusting", simply applying force to hold the bed down against the pins. If you need more downward force, simply tighten the thumbscrew under that spring.

Too much down force might warp the bed between the 2 pins adjacent to that screw. The springs simply eliminate the (serious and very difficult) problem caused by too tight or too loose adjustment of the nuts on the screws which this mod replaced.

EasySt

Postby EasySt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello walshlg. Note that resteele's solution is fully reversed, compared to the popular bed spring solutions we've seen for this bed in the past. In this solution the springs are not pushing up between the base plate and the heated bed plate.

The only thing pushing up in resteele's solution are the two set screws beside each of the lightly downward sprung longer bed screws, which gently pull down on the heated bed plate from below the heavy base plate, rather than push up on the thin heated bed plate from above the heavy base plate. The springs only touch the bottom of the heavy base plate, and not the thin heated build plate itself. A side benefit is that vertical build space is also not affected.

Unlike previous spring solutions I've seen, his does not control the position of the bed plate with the spring loaded screws and thumb nuts. Their purpose is only to provide a self maintaining, constant, light, downward pressure of the heated bed plate against all the little set screws in the heavy base plate. The position, flatness and orthogonality of the bed plate in this solution is maintained by all the little set screws that the springs are pulling the heated bed plate down against... Gently, and in a self maintaining fashion.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:34 am

Ahh, I misunderstood! I put the springs between the bed frame and the heated bed. Sometimes it leaves no tension on the center screw!

Return to “General”