Consistent print failure due to poor layering

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Zak.Parrish

Consistent print failure due to poor layering

Postby Zak.Parrish » Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Hey Folks, I'm having a murder of a time trying to get anything worthwhile out of these Raise3D printers using IdeaMaker.

Check out these images:

Stringing.png

BadLayering.png

Notice the gaps in layering. Note how inconsistent the layers are from one to the next. Since I assume there's no hidden "Force Print Layering to be Sh***y" setting that is defaulted to On, I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what might be causing this. I have two of these Raise 3D machines and both have the same issue right now (even worse since the new Touch firmware update, it would seem).

I'm sure it's a setting, but not really sure where to start.

This is a PLA print.

Zak.Parrish

Re: Consistent print failure due to poor layering

Postby Zak.Parrish » Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Next attempt. It's like a few mm into any given print, we just lose a layer or two.
NextLayer.jpg

I'm at a loss. I've had several printers (all WAY cheaper than a Raise) that just didn't do this. I'm sure it's just some mysterious setting, but I've been into 3D printing for several years and expected more from a top dollar machine using software made for it.

Jay_Omega

Postby Jay_Omega » Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 am

Is your filament hanging up?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Would you like to attach the gcode file of your failed print here so that we can see more details about the model and also the settings?
And want to clarity, which brand of PLA you are using? Is the front cooling fan on your printer running non-stop when printer power on?

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm

MatterHackers Pro series PLA, white.

I've played with various temperatures. This GCode is set at 225, but I've tested at 5 degree increments from 185 to 230 with no joy.

FrameUpper.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Mon May 13, 2019 7:44 pm

And yes, both of my Raise3D printers (Pro2 and Pro2 Plus) have the fans running non-stop. I imagine that's a default? I've never explicitly changed it.

PTXer

Postby PTXer » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Zak.Parrish wrote:MatterHackers Pro series PLA, white.
IMG_20190211_071335417.jpg

Their Pro series reels are a little too big for the printer. Like Jay asked, check that your filament isn't hanging up. I've had to rewind the pro series stuff onto smaller reels (their Build series reels are OK). I kept losing layers too when I was using those reels.

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Tue May 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll wind a few meters onto an extra empty spool and see where that goes.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm

Plastic brands matter. I've had a lot of success with Raise3D PLA on my machine, and anything from Polymaker. I tried a MH PLA last summer, and managed to end up with a PLA volcano in the morning. That said, other people have had good success with MH, so results will vary.

Zak.Parrish

Postby Zak.Parrish » Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 am

It appears PTXer was correct. After spooling several meters of the MH PLA onto a smaller spool, the print seemed to go just fine. Thanks for the help; I was at a complete loss on that one.

Mike Tarifa

Postby Mike Tarifa » Wed May 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi Folks
I just want to comment here,not as yet get into any specific details:
I have a Raise 3d pro plus and my experince with it is a love/ hate relation!
Here in my country this printer costed me 16K U$...! And since i got it last year in august it made me crazy and i spent countless hours unclogging the nozzles and unjamming the filament...is more often that the printer kicks back the filament than actually start to print!
i even sent it to the local reselle;he "fixed" it and it came back a bit better but it still jams and bothers!
SO yeah it seems to me there is a serious design problem int the head assembly because as i have read here;A LOT of people are having this issue!
Meanwhile i learned to live with it and unjam it pretty fast but it sucks to to this all the time! I dont even bother to put the allen wrenches away!
probably tehy know about this problem so thats why they give you the wrenches and the gloves and the inox rods!
they should also include a manual of how to dissasemble the head
IMHO i think they need to redesign it in way this dont happens anymore, and also in a way that it gets easy to dissasemble and unjam it
besides that;the printer is great the parts come out fine sometimes
the software is also very good!
Best regards]
and if anyone needs tips i will be happy to share my experience even though its not a happy one totally

Heckler

Postby Heckler » Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 am

It's a bit odd to me that the rafts seem to print fine (from what I can see) so I would think something with the part/slicing. I've only had my Pro2 a couple months now but I have been printing with all kinds of filament with few issues, even the cheap PLA you can get on Amazon from China. I keep my retractions to a minimum with PLA to keep the extruder stepper motors from heating up.

The ideaMaker software has some issues with how it handles retractions, there is nothing wrong with lots of adjust-ability but there are so many settings for retractions it takes a while to dial them in to work correctly, pay attention of the minimal travel of retraction and minimal amount of retraction settings, if not set correctly (depending on your part) it will be retracting constantly contributing to heat creep and jams.

Return to “General”