Surface buggers

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
markm

Surface buggers

Postby markm » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm having a hack of a time with settings to get rid of these surface buggers on my prints. Mostly happens when there's internal structures connected to the shell, and it's is most apparent in the low X and Y directions. Meaning if I reverse the model orientation 180 they will appear on the other side. But it happens sometimes when there isn't any internal structure, I've tried printing inside out and outside in but wondering if the printer just overshoots or is inaccurate in that direction. At first I thought it was because it was printing the shell while the internal structure wasn't cooled enough yet or visa versa but that doesn't always seem to hold true. Also, the start of any shell causes a bugger too but that is in any direction and if I can force the origin/start to one of the corners it's minimized. I've tried more retraction but that just starts under-extruding, but not giving it any extra restart value is the only thing that kind of helped.
Any ideas?
Attachments
20190304_074444.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Surface buggers

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 am

Would you mind share gcode and data files here?
And which printer you are using and which filament you are using for printing this model?

markm

Postby markm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 am

Sure Vicky,

Here are the files and some pictures of what it prints. I've used HatchBox PLA in black, white and silver on a Pro2.

Thanks
Attachments
20190305_222246.jpg
sample prints
20190305_222254.jpg
sample prints 2
P38_wingR3_1.rar
Gcode & Data
(2.67 MiB) Downloaded 4 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm not sure whether the issue is caused by design or something else, but the surface issues shown already in Preview after slicing.
You can compare the difference of orange and red sections in pictures.
1.png
2.png

You can try whether the following two repair options can help anything or not. Or may need back to design stage to see whether you can find more reasons causing these gaps.
3.png
3.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 178 times

markm

Postby markm » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Yes I noticed that on the preview too. I think I've tried those setting you suggest but will double check. Maybe a bad example because I did have the merge open segments checked on previous prints and they didn't turn out as bad. Sorry I'm just pulling my hair out with settings trying to get a decent result. There does always seem to be a visible interaction with the shell and internal structures still.

Another thing, what exactly does Merge Nearby Lines do? I noticed if I set this to like .1mm a lot of those surface gaps go away but at the same time all of the internal support structures go away too. Is this right?

On a side, it would be nice to have more documentation on the features/settings to better explain what and how they work. For instance "Merge Nearby Lines refers that the distance of two nearby lines less than the value you set,
they would be merged." doesn't really say anything more that what the title says. Is there anything that actually explains what the algorithm does and in what cases you would use these settings/features, like examples of what to use them for?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:36 am

If not enabling Merge Nearby Lines option, the sections pointed by blue arrows will be regards as infill section as the section pointed by green arrow will be regarded as a hole.
2.png
2.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 159 times

markm

Postby markm » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Not sure I understand that answer, are you saying that my internal structures are being regarded as infill and since I have infill turned off those structures dissapear?

Another thing, I can can greatly reduce the shell interaction with the internal structure by reducing the extruder amount but then I get layer gaps on the shell. Is there a way to set different extruder amounts on the shell and the internals?

The last thing I am fighting is startup blobs, I minimize them by staring on a corner but I can't always and it's still ugly. Any ideas on that?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:47 am

We don’t really know whether the issue on your model is caused by slicing settings or model structure. If you’d like to share the STL file with us, we may can try to see whether there is any slicing tuning can help the issue or not.
As you can see the picture I attached, we have tried your file on our printer. The model doesn’t look like over-extruded. The reason why you can see the inner structure of infill should be related to too thin outer shell.
May I ask some pictures of your start points to compare with our result?
Attachments
B94F0AEC-29FD-487F-95EE-2F12D5EC09D6.jpeg

markm

Postby markm » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 am

Here is the STL and a couple of pictures of what I see on layer starts, if I start the layer on the edge of the model I get a couple of things besides the little buggers on the edge. I get incomplete layers and exaggerated interaction with inner structures, meaning I can get the rest of the model to go pretty well but it is always worse near the start point. Any setting advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
P38_wingR3.STL
stl file
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
20190317_185807.jpg
layer start example 1
20190317_185801.jpg
layer start example 2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Seems we also get some similar result as the starting points on your model.
We will do more tests and check whether we can find any setting can help improve the print quality.

markm

Postby markm » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you very much Vicky!

Return to “Printing Settings”