N2 controller usb failures

dmtulsa

N2 controller usb failures

Postby dmtulsa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm

This is the 3rd controller I've had for my N2 that I've had less than one year. Worked last night and no comms today. No leds for tx- rx just dead. The USB fails. It wont talk to the display or connect to a PC. Seems to work okay for a couple months then dies. Tech support is no help as they claim its my fault because I used a DMM to see if the board had the correct voltage. Along with all the other issues I've had with the printer since day one. It has never worked correctly. The problems go on and on. Its due to very bad wiring. At least on the unit I have.
So has anyone Changed the Atmega16u2 chip and and re-flashed it? It will not go into DUF mode . I'm going to replace the chip on one. I suppose I can flash it before I put it on the controller using a JTAG / ISP programmer - debugger. I have 3 dead boards now and at over $100 each I'll try changing a $0.90 part. Raise3d wont exchange them or support them due to the above reason.

dmtulsa

Re: N2 controller usb failures

Postby dmtulsa » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:50 am

changing the atmega16u2 fixed all 3 boards. must be a common failure. Removed the bad one soldered on new one and flashed the firmware over the 6 pin isp port using AVD dude or Atmel studio 7. They are $2.52 at mouser but I got 10 for $6 on aliexpress. To remove the old chip I used a hot air rework station. Be careful, if its not hot enough or too hot its easy to lift a trace. Not the best quality boards. low-mid range at best

Return to “N Series”