Support Offset

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Timber Haint

Support Offset

Postby Timber Haint » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

It seems with the ABS I'm using the supports are being printed too close to the object. By that I mean the offset from the support to the object. This is resulting in the support almost becoming part of the object being printed.

Do I increase the offset of the support by increasing the "Vertical offset top layers" or the "Vertical offset down layers" OR both as I've done here?
Attachments
Untitled.png

crimsonyoshi

Re: Support Offset

Postby crimsonyoshi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm

If we take the buildplate surface as a z height of 0, bottom layer refers to the support structure with the lowest z-value, and top refers to the highest z value.

So as an example, if your object had support from the bed to say 2.00cm high, then the bottom refers to layer 0.00cm to bottom offset value (of whatever your layer height is set too), and top would refer to the last offset value number of layers closest to 2.00cm

To further this, ABS has a tendency to warp sometimes. It's possible that's what's going on here as a vertical offset value of 1 typically works well for most applications.

Ben Roj

Re: Support Offset

Postby Ben Roj » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:12 am

Since Ideamaker is using layer offset instead of definite distance offset. If you are printing at 0.1mm layer height, this mean the offset gap between support and print object is only 0.1mm. So you might want to increase it to 2 layers offset in this case. If you are printing at standard 0.2mm, the 1 layer vertical offset is good enough.

Return to “Printing Settings”