Just purchased the N2! Some general questions + filament recommendations?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
dch

Just purchased the N2! Some general questions + filament recommendations?

Postby dch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:28 am

Is there anything I should do before I start printing? i.e. Printing replacement parts/fixes.
Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I read that some people had issues with leaking filament but it was an easy fix.
Does anyone have third party filament recommendations?

theRenegade

Re: Just purchased the N2! Some general questions + filament recommendations?

Postby theRenegade » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

R3D is watching the forum and reacts on some issues by adjusting manufacturing.
Means some/most/all of the issues might be fixed on your machine already.

The filament feed is the most critical thing IMHO, if you already have the feeding tubes it's o.k., if you feed from above thru a spool holder you're done also.

Filament recommendation is always a question of your location, some brands are not economical to ship around the world because of the shipping costs. Good brands are R3D / Polymaker, Verbatim, ColorFabb. I would always look for local manufacturers also (I found a good one in town and that gives me some more options when it is up to colors and spool sizes, finally price).

dch

Postby dch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 am

theRenegade wrote:R3D is watching the forum and reacts on some issues by adjusting manufacturing.
Means some/most/all of the issues might be fixed on your machine already.

The filament feed is the most critical thing IMHO, if you already have the feeding tubes it's o.k., if you feed from above thru a spool holder you're done also.

Filament recommendation is always a question of your location, some brands are not economical to ship around the world because of the shipping costs. Good brands are R3D / Polymaker, Verbatim, ColorFabb. I would always look for local manufacturers also (I found a good one in town and that gives me some more options when it is up to colors and spool sizes, finally price).

Any idea if further issues exist? I recall reading about a filament leak that was really bad but easily fixed...

Any good filaments on Amazon?

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:19 am

I don't know how much printers have been delivered (1000?) and how much leaked (3, 5?).
Question always is, what was done before (changed Hotend, removed a clog?), maybe these actions caused it...

NuNus and Prima3D have PLA and ABS on Amazon, I would rate them good, but the others I mentioned before I rate premium.
Where are you from?

dch

Postby dch » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 am

theRenegade wrote:I don't know how much printers have been delivered (1000?) and how much leaked (3, 5?).
Question always is, what was done before (changed Hotend, removed a clog?), maybe these actions caused it...

NuNus and Prima3D have PLA and ABS on Amazon, I would rate them good, but the others I mentioned before I rate premium.
Where are you from?

California

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:36 am

Then you have other options for filament orders, let the US folks give you some...
Heard of some good results with Hobbyking PLA, others from ESUN, others are in the forum.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 am

Every printer has to be tested in factory for over 100 hours before packing. If it has leaking problem, we will fix it before packing. But we cannot assure whether after such long time transportation, the hotend will get a little loose or not. So we add an extra throat fix screw on our heating block to add one more insurance to hold the throat tube. Since yours is from the latest batch to US, it should have this extra screw.
1.png

Leakage is not easy to find out before a print. It is a print failure. Check whether your heating block is at the abnormal location. Pay attention to the first several prints. If you find a little leakage from the top or bottom of the heating block. Stop and contact us.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 pm

to test that, heat it up and try screwing the nozzle further in, if it goes in all the way to the shoulder then you have a problem and need to screw the isolation tube in farther. If it seats against the isolation tube without being threaded all the way in then you should be good to go.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 pm

I am using eSun PETG with good success, which I ordered from Amazon.

I want to love MakerGeeks - inexpensive and very reasonable (often free) shipping. However, so far, of the 5 spools i've ordered, opened 3 and 2 wont feed through the extruder feeder.

I have a roll of MatterHackers PLA, havent opened it yet.

I really want to buy Raise3D PLA or Premium PLA - but the cost of shipping from CA to FLA just seems out of line ($25 for 2 rolls)

xygote

Postby xygote » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:20 pm

NewbPilot wrote:I am using eSun PETG with good success, which I ordered from Amazon.

I want to love MakerGeeks - inexpensive and very reasonable (often free) shipping. However, so far, of the 5 spools i've ordered, opened 3 and 2 wont feed through the extruder feeder.

I have a roll of MatterHackers PLA, havent opened it yet.

I really want to buy Raise3D PLA or Premium PLA - but the cost of shipping from CA to FLA just seems out of line ($25 for 2 rolls)

I also want to love MakerGeeks but have not had much success with their filaments. Their rolls are too thick to close the door on your printer also.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:08 am

Quick update - raised the temp on my MakerGeeks crystal light blue to 260, and the Crystal blue to 240, and the yellow to 240 (was using 230 for all..) and printed fairly nice tests today. I need to try a longer print though

JETPRINTS01_ - 29.jpg

2 on the right are MG PETG

plee1024

Postby plee1024 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:11 am

The R3D stuff is very good but like previous post the shipping is a bit high.

Hatchbox, I use most of the time and it's pretty decent for the price.
Ninjaflex, still have trouble with this (even with my cheapo reprap printer) so I switched to PolyFlex which works nicely with the N2.
eSUN, just got a roll of the PLA PRO and it seems pretty good so far...

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 pm

We are using a combination of eSun PETG, MakerGeeks PLA and PETG (took a while to get settings that work well), R3D Premium and Colorful PLA, and PolyPlus and now finally PolyFlex... Here's a picture of all of the test prints I did EXCEPT polyflex, which just finished today and didnt make it in the family photo.
Rainbow 1.jpg

For the record, the Pink looking one is R3D Crystal Red PLA ... the Red looking one is MakerGeeks Crystal Red PLA.

Neon Yellow is Sainsmart TPU. I have their black TPU printing now.

PolyFlex finally prints, but i clearly have settings to adjust.

IMG_6147.JPG

Return to “General”