Thinking of purchasing N2 single

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Helipilot

Thinking of purchasing N2 single

Postby Helipilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:43 am

Looking to get some honest feedback oh the N2 single as I would like to purchase this printer soon. How is it performing straight out of the box without any mods? I'm not looking for a tinkering printer at all, I'm looking for good prints without having to fix it right away.
If there are nessasary mods, and what are they. I did hear the extruder that it comes with lacks performance.
Raise 3D N2 Dual purchased Aug 9th 2016

theRenegade

Re: Thinking of purchasing N2 single

Postby theRenegade » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:09 am

Helipilot wrote:I'm not looking for a tinkering printer at all, I'm looking for good prints without having to fix it right away.

Saying that you should start to subtract the tinkerers statements of that what you read in the forum. Most of them (Tinkerers) want to mod and always see the 'need' to do it. One of the needs might be to show that the printer can produce reliable results at 300mm/sec speed and if not the extruder lacks performance...

Helipilot wrote:If there are nessasary mods, and what are they. I did hear the extruder that it comes with lacks performance.

Yes, the filament feeding is a design glitch IMHO, minimal mod is using Julias filament support but better feed from above.
Lately fan duct mods popped up, but did not test it yet. Everything can be just printed and used instantly.

Finally I had no printer providing better out of the box experience (using UM2, M200, Pharao Ed, Robox before).

bjsummerfield

Postby bjsummerfield » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:31 am

If you are not willing to Tinker then I would say the entry level 3D printers aren't for you. At some point you will have to troubleshoot and fix any 3d Printer you get.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:52 am

Yes, the filament feeding is a design glitch IMHO, minimal mod is using Julias filament support but better feed from above.

We have added the extra guide tube and its carriage on extruder in the accessory box of the printers sent out after May 23th.
2.png

Lately fan duct mods popped up, but did not test it yet. Everything can be just printed and used instantly.

Have reported to our factory. The fan covers will lay down to be printed out from this month.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:28 pm

FWIW I do not like having the coupler on the guide tube because I like to slide the guide tube out of the support socket for loading and unloading with hand guidance. You can just take the guide block off the top but often I just want to play with one of the filaments.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:31 pm

All good info.
I was comparing this printer to the Fusion 3 F400 printer but that printer cost considerable more and im not sure it's worth it.
Im still liking this printer, just want to make sure it's holding up to use.
How does print quality compare to M200 or Cubicon or really any other printer in this price point ?
Last edited by Helipilot on Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:40 pm

OK less obvious things to mention:
1) the frame is the best I've ever seen, super sturdy. It has CASTERS that lock!
2) the hot end design is also the best I've ever seen, sure it still jams but not nearly as finicky as most.
3) Using that touch screen is sooooo nice, it really works, is mostly intuitive and when I go to another printer I am always annoyed.
4) the plexi doors and clear sides (that can be removed in a pinch) really make working on the printer much easier.
5) Online support is superb, lots of printer companies mean well but don't have engineers giving such fast support.
6) the store has some excellent PLA, easy to print with, also seems to get new stuff frequently (like now wide nozzles)

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:55 pm

walshlg wrote:OK less obvious things to mention:
1) the frame is the best I've ever seen, super sturdy. It has CASTERS that lock!
2) the hot end design is also the best I've ever seen, sure it still jams but not nearly as finicky as most.
3) Using that touch screen is sooooo nice, it really works, is mostly intuitive and when I go to another printer I am always annoyed.
4) the plexi doors and clear sides (that can be removed in a pinch) really make working on the printer much easier.
5) Online support is superb, lots of printer companies mean well but don't have engineers giving such fast support.
6) the store has some excellent PLA, easy to print with, also seems to get new stuff frequently (like now wide nozzles)

Ok gotcha.
If I were to buy do you recommend dual or single head?
I was thinking single head is lighter and less weight and easier on rods??

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I have an N2 Dual Plus, I wanted the dual nozzle because I thought I would use it. But after experimenting with it, I find its just too much hassle. Dealing with the second nozzle ooze, nozzle level and other issues are a pain. So Im just using 1 nozzle now, the machine is great and im pretty happy with it. Im printing 8-12h a day 5 days a week. Ive upgraded to the Bondtech extruder, Insulated hotend, PrintinZ plate, and will be upgrading to the easy level bed soon. But stock, the machine worked well, im pushing the performance with the models I print.

Imho, i would just go for the single nozzle, if you need a dual nozzle printer, get one that has two heads so you can park one while the other prints.

Also, Just a note to Walshlg, the guide tube slides out of the coupler very easily by pushing down on the blue part, probably easier to do than removing the entire guide block and the guide tube is held securely otherwise.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Phife wrote:I have an N2 Dual Plus, I wanted the dual nozzle because I thought I would use it. But after experimenting with it, I find its just too much hassle. Dealing with the second nozzle ooze, nozzle level and other issues are a pain. So Im just using 1 nozzle now, the machine is great and im pretty happy with it. Im printing 8-12h a day 5 days a week. Ive upgraded to the Bondtech extruder, Insulated hotend, PrintinZ plate, and will be upgrading to the easy level bed soon. But stock, the machine worked well, im pushing the performance with the models I print.

Imho, i would just go for the single nozzle, if you need a dual nozzle printer, get one that has two heads so you can park one while the other prints.

Also, Just a note to Walshlg, the guide tube slides out of the coupler very easily by pushing down on the blue part, probably easier to do than removing the entire guide block and the guide tube is held securely otherwise.

Cool. Single head it would be thanks for confirming.
Can you list the mod parts and possible link or companies so I can gather a price. Bondtech extruded I heard works great. Easy bed level I'm not familiar with.

Thanks!

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:48 pm

I love the dual extruder. Yes it is a pain to level the separate heads but its just so cool! I gotta put in a good word for image maker slicer program with the dual heads. It uses a wipewall which is really helpful for dual head ooze (enough so that cleanup is only about a minute!) and it makes supports as well as s3d (just not user placeable).

Yes most utilitarian prints need just one color. But prints for fun stuff are almost always more fun in 2 colors.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:21 pm

walshlg wrote:I love the dual extruder. Yes it is a pain to level the separate heads but its just so cool! I gotta put in a good word for image maker slicer program with the dual heads. It uses a wipewall which is really helpful for dual head ooze (enough so that cleanup is only about a minute!) and it makes supports as well as s3d (just not user placeable).

Yes most utilitarian prints need just one color. But prints for fun stuff are almost always more fun in 2 colors.

Ok. Another good point.
Did anyone look up the spec on the Fusion 3 F400? How does it compare to this printer ?

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:34 am

Sadly, the printer that does not require tinkering does not exist yet. The R3D printers are one of the best (I think THE best) value for the buck, but they are not perfect. I do think that there are printers that will require less tinkering, but this is from what I hear, not personal experience. I hear Zortrax, Utimaker, Craftbot, Lulzbot, and Printrbot may require a little less tinkering. Those printers will work out of the box most of the time, but the feature/price of R3D is unbeatable. Large print volume, fully enclosed, and print up to 300C: case closed. Then again, I have a Kickstater unit so maybe if you purchase now you will have to deal with 1 or 2 issues whereas I had to deal with around 6 or 7. The important thing to keep in mind is that ALL printers clog at some point, so you will need to know how to disassemble the hotend, clear/replace a nozzle. You will need tools, and the ability to troubleshoot. I have a single extruder N2 and am extremely happy with my purchase. I'm was never too interested in the added complexity of an additional extruder. I don't rule out the possibility of ever wanting to upgrade to dual, but for now I just don't see it.

I wonder how everyone is doing with the stock extruder. I used to get quite a few airprints before upgrading to a BondTech. I think the Extruder and the Stepper Drivers are the two glaring issues R3D should resolve. The printer works out of the box, but these two issues affect the reliability of printing for sure. Just my opinion, I'm no expert.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:20 am

How difficult was it to install the Bondtech extruded? I'm looking to get one even before ordering my N2. Are there instructions avail online so I can see how it's done ?

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

We have added the extra guide tube and its carriage on extruder in the accessory box of the printers sent out after May 23th.
2.png

Have reported to our factory. The fan covers will lay down to be printed out from this month.

Vicky, what if the printer I'm getting doesn't include these added parts ? I'm not sure when my printer was built.

Thanks

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:59 am

Helipilot wrote:Vicky, what if the printer I'm getting doesn't include these added parts ? I'm not sure when my printer was built.

Thanks

No need to worry about it. These two parts can be printed by yourself. We shared the fan cover stl in community. And there are a lot filament support tube cover here. You can check the following thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:54 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Helipilot wrote:Vicky, what if the printer I'm getting doesn't include these added parts ? I'm not sure when my printer was built.

Thanks

No need to worry about it. These two parts can be printed by yourself. We shared the fan cover stl in community. And there are a lot filament support tube cover here. You can check the following thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8

Thanks!
Right off the bat, which ones in that batch of items is critical or a "should do" ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:05 am

Helipilot wrote:
Thanks!
Right off the bat, which ones in that batch of items is critical or a "should do" ?

I recommend start with Julia's Top Cover Props for N2/N2+ and our 35mm fan.stl.
And Simon Poon's Ducted Electronics Box Cover for N2 Series is also a good design for electronic box cooling.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am

Helipilot wrote:... I'm not looking for a tinkering printer at all, I'm looking for good prints without having to fix it right away.

Helipilot wrote:How difficult was it to install the Bondtech extruded? I'm looking to get one even before ordering my N2. Are there instructions avail online so I can see how it's done ?

Well...

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:17 pm

In all my research, there's no printer in this price range that doesn't need to be tinkered with to get it to print right.
Sucks, but at least the raise is the most reliable and offers the most.

Return to “General”