Pro2 Plus Bed Adhesion Issues

htdeen

Pro2 Plus Bed Adhesion Issues

Postby htdeen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:28 pm

I have been having bed adhesion issues lately with my Pro2 Plus. It is getting colder where I live, so I am thinking that may be contributing, but I have taken steps to counteract that. Here is a list of what I've done. ABS material.

-taken apart the extruder and cleaned both tubes and nozzles
-leveled the bed (many times, to make sure it is perfect)
-adjusted nozzle height (again, many times)
-messed with the raft offset from model
-used glue stick on print surface
-replaced the print surface, currently using geckotek ez hot
-put a blanket over the printer to better insulate the printing chamber

I am still fairly new to 3D printing, so I may have missed something obvious. If so, please tell me. The rafts have been peeling at the corners before the model even starts printing. Eventually the rafts will be swept away by the printer and it will start printing on thin air, causing a huge glob of ABS on the hot end if I do not catch it and stop it in time.

My company has been needing this printer for prototyping the last few weeks, and it has been out of commission, and I have spent a lot of time working on it. I would love to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

ccclarke

Re: Pro2 Plus Bed Adhesion Issues

Postby ccclarke » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:49 pm

Are you letting the printer chamber heat up long enough prior to starting the print? Unlike PLA which you can print as soon as the bed and nozzle come up to temp, ABS requires a much longer duration after the bed and nozzle warm up before printing can be performed reliably.

Warping is a good indicator of temperature issues. Bring the bed to temp and keep it there for at least 30 minutes prior to starting the print and compare the results. You may need less or more time depending on the ambient and enclosure temperatures.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

htdeen

Postby htdeen » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:18 pm

I tried that this morning, and it did allow my print to continue longer than it has been. But eventually the edge on one side of the raft peeled to the point that it was soon going to fail. It seems that the peeling is happening a few hours into the print in some spots. The problem area has always seemed to be along the left side of the print bed. Maybe there is a draft there from a gap between the clear plastic walls/door of the printer and the metal corners?

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:40 pm

You can try making the z-offset a bit closer than the .2mm feeler gauge to provide a bit more squish to the bed or you can slow down the first layer to ensure it lays down strong enough for this. I also agree with preheating the machine before attempting the print.

Return to “Pro2 Series”