Dual Extrusion Excess Material Issues (PLA and PVA+)

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
anlambe2

Dual Extrusion Excess Material Issues (PLA and PVA+)

Postby anlambe2 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 am

Hello,

I just tested my first dual extrusion print using PLA on the left extruder with a 0.4mm nozzle and PVA+ in the right extruder with a 0.6mm nozzle.
Printer: Pro2 Plus.

I experienced a lot of excess material being spewed out during the reheating process of each nozzle. It would then drag that material hanging off the top of the nozzle to the part once the nozzles were re-heated, and it would break off and spring away in the positions shown in the picture. Perhaps my retraction was not good enough but I followed some settings that were found in the Raise3D forums. Miraculously, the print finished, but the wipe tower and wipe wall were utterly destroyed by the excess material and there is plenty of extra material around the part. I also noticed sometimes there was nothing extruding on the wipe tower or wall but by the time it got to the part, it was extruding. Any advisement on what I can change to avoid this excess material and have proper functioning wipe walls/towers as well? It seems like the Raise3D default profiles are never tuned or calculated to my Pro2 Plus' requirements.
Attachments
support_test_piece_V1.gcode
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
support_test_piece_V1.data
(41.37 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
20211118_134910.jpg
20211118_145401.jpg

Ryan@Raise3D

Re: Dual Extrusion Excess Material Issues (PLA and PVA+)

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:10 am

For the PVA, did you dry the material before use?

Also printing the PVA with the .6mm nozzle is a bit excessive as you will not need that much material extruded and a .1mm layer height with a .6 nozzle is achievable but it does start hitting the upper limit of what it can do.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Ryan@Raise3D wrote:For the PVA, did you dry the material before use?

Also printing the PVA with the .6mm nozzle is a bit excessive as you will not need that much material extruded and a .1mm layer height with a .6 nozzle is achievable but it does start hitting the upper limit of what it can do.

Hi Ryan,

The material was fresh out of the box. What temperature do you recommend drying PVA+ at? I have thermal chambers I use to dry filament.

My mistake, I intended to use a 0.2mm height. That being said, how do I fix the material continually extruding during the heatup/cooldown process of the prints?

Would it be better to print the PLA with the 0.6mm nozzle and PVA+ with the 0.4mm?

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm

For drying the PVA I recommend 50c for 12 -24 hours and I recommend doing this even for brand new spools of material as it can absorb moisture on its way to you.

As for reducing the leaking of the material, You can use the setting cooldown inactive extruder to cool the not in use hot end during the print to a low enough temperature that it will not ooze. This will increase your print times but reduce the overall stringing.

I would recommend printing the PVA with the .4 as the settings were optimized for this nozzle, but with some adjustments, you could get the .6 to work.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:05 am

Ryan@Raise3D wrote:For drying the PVA I recommend 50c for 12 -24 hours and I recommend doing this even for brand new spools of material as it can absorb moisture on its way to you.

As for reducing the leaking of the material, You can use the setting cooldown inactive extruder to cool the not in use hot end during the print to a low enough temperature that it will not ooze. This will increase your print times but reduce the overall stringing.

I would recommend printing the PVA with the .4 as the settings were optimized for this nozzle, but with some adjustments, you could get the .6 to work.

Ryan,

I will dry the filament and look into switching my 0.6mm nozzle to a 0.4mm version

However, I already use the cooldown inactive extruder setting. The issue occurs during cooldown, until it gets cold enough to not ooze anymore. I want to prevent any oozing, even during the cooldown period. Any further advisement?

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:35 pm

PVA as a material will ooze a bit no matter what, but due to the water-soluble nature of the material, you can just dissolve it away. For the PLA you can try increasing your retraction material amount a bit or reduce the printing temperature by a bit to reduce the excess material.

Return to “Printing Settings”