Fault line on prints

Bikeracer

Fault line on prints

Postby Bikeracer » Sat May 08, 2021 5:05 pm

I'm printing some curved items that are 75 mm high at 2 degrees from the vertical and approx 200mm long.
Regardless of orientation on the bed, a ridge forms at anywhere from approx 15 mm up to about 20 mm up and the vertical angle then appears to change from the 2 degrees to somewhere between 5 degrees and 10 degrees.

Two different models using two different drawings and a fresh slice after updating Ideamaker slice exhibit the same problem. I've cleaned and re lubricated the bed rails and the gantry to no avail.

Some pics attached, unfortunately not the best quality, but show what's happening.
G-code is too big to upload.
Attachments
Two.png
One.png
V2 Curve.idea
(307.3 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
V2 Curve.data
(41.75 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
V2 Curve.obj
(207.63 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by Bikeracer on Sun May 09, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bikeracer

Re: Fault line on prints

Postby Bikeracer » Sat May 08, 2021 5:12 pm

Four more pics
Attachments
Two.png
Three.png
One.png
End View.png
Last edited by Bikeracer on Sun May 09, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Changed to LH extruder and tried again but same problem persists.

All prints were stopped after the fault appeared, no point continuing and wasting more filament.

Made a new print model as a test just in case it was something wrong in the original piece. Pics attached
Attachments
Outside.png
Inside.png
End on.png

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 am

Bikeracer wrote:Changed to LH extruder and tried again but same problem persists.

All prints were stopped after the fault appeared, no point continuing and wasting more filament.

Made a new print model as a test just in case it was something wrong in the original piece. Pics attached

Based on the images that you provided it looks like the parts warped slightly which could be causing the defects that you are seeing. However, it is a little difficult for me to see exactly what is occurring because the photos are a little blurry. Do you notice these defects occurring on smaller printed parts?

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sat May 22, 2021 6:16 am

This problem started to occur when I made prints using ASA X with the required rise in bed temperature to 100 and letting the chamber stabilise for approx. fifteen minutes before starting to print. The printer is then slightly warm to the touch.

The problem usually starts at around 15mm high and gradually forms a lip on the arc being printed, increasing to the middle of the arc and then decreasing to the end.The arc is inclined 2 degrees from the vertical.

Orientation on the bed in either the X or Y axis makes no difference, the fault remains.

The top pic shows a screenshot of Ideamaker to give some indication of size of the original print, the original print where the problem first appeared is 75mm high and about 280mm long.
The second pic is an Ideamaker screenshot of the test print .
The third pic shows the PLA print and an ASA-X print side by side, as can be seen the ASA-X part suddenly starts increase in inclination, the PLA print with the normal chamber temperature looks normal.
The bottom pic is of the PLA test print .

To me as a hobbyist it seems that the problem occurs when the whole printer body and components warm up from using the required bed temps to print ASA filament.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 08.03.27.png
Screenshot 2021-05-22 at 07.02.07.png
JPEG_19052021_154047_4796566028333472578.jpg
JPEG_19052021_153759_7464557349238302401.jpg

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Mon May 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Steven@Raise3D wrote:
Based on the images that you provided it looks like the parts warped slightly which could be causing the defects that you are seeing. However, it is a little difficult for me to see exactly what is occurring because the photos are a little blurry. Do you notice these defects occurring on smaller printed parts?

My supplier confirmed that it is a machine fault, not warping.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:45 am

Bikeracer wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:

My supplier confirmed that it is a machine fault, not warping.

Thank you for the update. I see here in our system that you do have a ticket that is currently being worked on. Please continue with the troubleshooting advice of the technician that you are working with.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:08 am

Steven@Raise3D wrote:
Thank you for the update. I see here in our system that you do have a ticket that is currently being worked on. Please continue with the troubleshooting advice of the technician that you are working with.

IMHO it is a very poor support system by Raise3D.........

To get a support ticket raised I have had to return my printer to my supplier in the UK. Arranging collection and geting delivery back to them took a week.
Then two weeks spent there without being able to find the cause or rectify the problem
Another week to date waiting for a response and solution from Raise3D, as yet unforthcoming eight days after they received all the log files etc..

So I have not had a useable printer now for four weeks not including the time spent by me trying to find what was causing the fault.

If I have not got a fully functioning printer here by this time next week I will be looking to get a full refund because my printer is not fit for purpose.
If after five weeks without the repair happening I think that I have given more than a reasonable time to rectify a fault under warranty and printer that has only about fifteen days total working time on it.

I have a landscaping project that has now been on hold for several weeks because I no longer have the means to produce the corner block moulds to make the corner edgings.

£3300.00.........An awful lot of money for a 3D printer that will not print distortion free prints when it gets warm using ASA filament.

Bikeracer

Printer sent back

Postby Bikeracer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:36 pm

My printer was returned to my supplier, they were able to repeat the fault on my printer and also on one of their E2 printers, however they could not find out what the problem was and contacted Raise3D who also repeated the fault on one of their E2 printers but could not resolve it and handed the problem to the manufacturers in China.

After well over a week my supplier has still not had a response from Raise3D and today have issued me with a full refund which I have used towards a different printer made in Europe from my same supplier, which hopefully I will be printing with by the weekend after five weeks of not having a printer that has no direct manufacturer support.

So I had a printer that fell down when I tried to print with ASA filament because it got warm, spending £3300.00 for a printer that limits me to PLA and being left twiddling my thumbs for five weeks with no resolution forthcoming for a fault is disgustingly poor value for money.

Return to “E2”