PLA Extrafill Traffic Black from filament2print

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Chris

PLA Extrafill Traffic Black from filament2print

Postby Chris » Wed May 12, 2021 10:03 am

Hi,

with my Raise Pro2 I can print without any problem PLA from Raise but with "PLA Extrafill Traffic Black from filament2print"
https://filament2print.com/fr/pla-premi ... -noir.html

I got after some minutes a blockage of the filament like the attached photo, which makes that the printing continues but without depositing the filament.

I am using Raise's basic PLA setting.

Do you have an idea of the adjustment to make to avoid this crushing of the filament just before the entry of the hotend?

I thank you in advance for your advice ;)
Attachments
PLA problem.jpg
view of problem

Steven@Raise3D

Re: PLA Extrafill Traffic Black from filament2print

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Wed May 12, 2021 11:36 pm

Chris wrote:Hi,

with my Raise Pro2 I can print without any problem PLA from Raise but with "PLA Extrafill Traffic Black from filament2print"
https://filament2print.com/fr/pla-premi ... -noir.html

I got after some minutes a blockage of the filament like the attached photo, which makes that the printing continues but without depositing the filament.

I am using Raise's basic PLA setting.

Do you have an idea of the adjustment to make to avoid this crushing of the filament just before the entry of the hotend?

I thank you in advance for your advice ;)

Are you printing with the top cover on or off? Also, what are the temperature recommendations from the filament manufacture?

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 am

hi,

top cover is ON
filament recommandation is between 190 - 210°C

a:)

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm

Chris wrote:hi,

top cover is ON
filament recommandation is between 190 - 210°C

a:)

When printing all PLA materials we recommend that you remove the top cover as the excess heat buildup from the build plate can cause the PLA to soften before entering the extruder causing jams and inconsistent extrusion.

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am

Yes, I tested with top cover off and set head at 200° and also 190° instead of 205° form original setting but the problem don't change

after 2h of printing, filament is blocked like previous photo !

What can I do now to resolve this problem ?

have any chance to use this PLA ?

regards ;)

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi,

sorry I just find a preset setting of fillamentum Extrafill on you cloud, I test it and send you me feedback ;)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 am

Unfortunatly, official compatible fillamentum PLA Premium Extrafill with Raise3D pro2 doesn't work better !

So, let me know if there's a other thing to do to have a chance with this fillament with my Pro2 ?

thx for your support

regards ;)

Saperusa

Postby Saperusa » Sat May 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Hi Chris,
I have read Your thread and if I can I have some recommendations for You

dry the filament.
With PLA it's sufficient 4-6 hours at 50°C and the filament will be in the best condition to print.

The date from the company write clearly that this filament is very far from Raise PLA
Infact You have a range of temp max 210 instead Raise is 235 that translated the parameter of the Raise are not good for this brand.
Again
the range of temp is for all type of printer; normally the value on the right is for economic printer open, not for Raise3D PRO2 that is a professional printer and so You have to start to print at 190-195 max
The speed when a filament is clearly softer than Raise PLA must be decreased.
Start with 35mm/s to arrive max to 45 mm/S
fan at 100% is OK

Ciao Sandro

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu May 20, 2021 7:11 am

Hi Sandro,

thank's for your recommandations.
I already used dry system.
The most important setting finally is like you explained about Speed. I set all at 35mm/s and since I have success to print with PLA fillamentum.
About cool fand at 100%, I tested it but it's not good with buildtak because you can get pelling off of first layers.
So I used cool fan setting like fillamentum preset defined and it's better.
I got also some problem with the quality of winding of filament and it caused a jam.

To conclude : use PLA fillamentum Premium Extrafill with Raise pro2 is not a good idea. I loose many time and never sure to get a good result. to reduce speed at 35mm/s works but it's like to add 50% of time to print something. Like Sandro said, this PLA is not recommended for a professional printer like Raise Pro2. On the other hand, ABS fillamentum works perfectly...

thanks again for your support

best ;)

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat May 22, 2021 1:20 am

Chris wrote:Unfortunatly, official compatible fillamentum PLA Premium Extrafill with Raise3D pro2 doesn't work better !

So, let me know if there's a other thing to do to have a chance with this fillament with my Pro2 ?

thx for your support

regards ;)

Thanks for the update. Just to clarify you are using the official template from our OFP website here correct? (https://www.raise3d.com/compatible-filaments/)

Even though it did not fix the issue it is still recommended that the lid be removed when printing with PLA materials. Would you be able to send me a few detailed photos of your hotend assemblies? Also, can you please confirm that the front fan on the printhead is running at 100% at all times when the machine is powered on?

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 22, 2021 9:56 am

Hi,

yes, I used this template ( https://www.raise3d.com/compatible-filaments/ )

yes, I use Top cover off with this PLA ( NOTA : with raise PLA I always keep Top cover on and I got always success print ;)

yes front fan running at 100%.

only with a global speed setting at 35mm/s and setting above gave me right print... but not always, the photo of my last print with this filament once again shows the problem i have with this filament even with all the above settings. It's just unreliable and too slow for average print quality.
when I have more time, I want to try again and test settings for this PLA because I still have 2 Coils. I remain at your disposal if you think you have found solutions.

regards ;)
Attachments
IMG_8963.jpeg

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri May 28, 2021 12:43 am

Chris wrote:Hi,

yes, I used this template ( https://www.raise3d.com/compatible-filaments/ )

yes, I use Top cover off with this PLA ( NOTA : with raise PLA I always keep Top cover on and I got always success print ;)

yes front fan running at 100%.

only with a global speed setting at 35mm/s and setting above gave me right print... but not always, the photo of my last print with this filament once again shows the problem i have with this filament even with all the above settings. It's just unreliable and too slow for average print quality.
when I have more time, I want to try again and test settings for this PLA because I still have 2 Coils. I remain at your disposal if you think you have found solutions.

regards ;)

Can you please try to print the file that I have attached with the Extrafill PLA? Please let me know the results.
Attachments
Block Peg.gcode
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Block Peg.data
(52.69 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:46 am

Hi Steven,

sorry for delay I just come back.

So unfortunatly your block test stop very early !
please see photos attachment

juste to know PLA extrafill comme directly from a Silica box : 24° with 19% humidity
inside the Pro serie2 it's about 35% and 30° after printing

let me know next step.

regards
Attachments
IMG_9018.jpeg
nozzle view was very clean before printing
IMG_9017.jpeg
IMG_9016.jpeg
global view

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 pm

new test,

I decide to adjust the tightness of the filament drive screw by half.
that is to say that at the first test which failed, the tightening of the screw was 2 turns (adjustment which is suitable very well for the ABS previously used). For this new test, the screw is tightened by 1 turn.

finally the test run to the end without problem.

I note :
the filament has a little trouble hanging on the plate during the first centimeter at the start of printing.
the 2 fans on the sides turn fully after a few seconds of printing.
the central fan is not rotating.
the printing Block time being about 50 minutes it would take a test of at least 3 hours because at the beginning of my tests it is from this time that I got the failures.

please, find some photo of the result, is it perfect for you or need more adjustment ?

thx for your support.

regards :)
Attachments
IMG_9032.jpeg
block printed 2nd test view3
IMG_9030.jpeg
block printed 2nd test view2
IMG_9029.jpeg
block printed 2nd test view1

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:38 am

Chris wrote:new test,

I decide to adjust the tightness of the filament drive screw by half.
that is to say that at the first test which failed, the tightening of the screw was 2 turns (adjustment which is suitable very well for the ABS previously used). For this new test, the screw is tightened by 1 turn.

finally the test run to the end without problem.

I note :
the filament has a little trouble hanging on the plate during the first centimeter at the start of printing.
the 2 fans on the sides turn fully after a few seconds of printing.
the central fan is not rotating.
the printing Block time being about 50 minutes it would take a test of at least 3 hours because at the beginning of my tests it is from this time that I got the failures.

please, find some photo of the result, is it perfect for you or need more adjustment ?

thx for your support.

regards :)

Thank you for the feedback. The behavior with the two side cooling fans is correct. They are both controlled via the ideaMaker slicing software so whatever settings you input is when they will power on. The front fan behavior is not correct. The front hotend cooling fan should be running at 100% as soon as the machine is powered on. This fan is imperative to the functionality of the machine as it cools both hotends and prevents heat creep. If the front fan is not functioning I would suggest a replacement.

Return to “Printing Settings”