ideaMaker settings for supported areas

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Paul123

ideaMaker settings for supported areas

Postby Paul123 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm

I really tried hard, but the setting possibilities for areas printed above supports is not ideal.
As everybody knows it is impossible getting the same surface quality as printed on solid surfaces (build plate). That‘s why its even more important having good control over all possible parameters.
Currently you have to use settings not really meant for supported areas, a.g. bridge and overhang detection. These settings - if used for „free“ areas as intended- should contain other settings, e.g. should bridged areas have faster speeds than supported ones. summing up we can say it would be great implementing a set of settings dedicated to treat supported areas, containing et least speed, flowrate, cooling, extrusion width, overlapping percentage , and if possible also separate settings for printing angle (in order to achieve a good crossing). Also temperature and layer hight could be a topic...

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: ideaMaker settings for supported areas

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:39 am

There are support speed and flowrate at the moment.
What else you are looking for are supoort extrusion width, support cooling fan speed and support infill overlap?
The print angle is referring to support infill line angle?
Can you advise more information about temperature and layer height for support?

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:38 pm

As far as i know there ARE settings for support speed and flowrate, as you mentioned. But no special setting for supportED areas. So what i meant is not the support itself, but the area above the support. Certainly you can tweak a little with overhang and bridge settings, but they should be left for „real“ bridges and overhangs. These settings have a special importance if you are going to print supported areas without a dissolvable meterial.
With angle i really mean the infill angle, but again not the infill angle of the support itself, also not of the dense support, but the infill angle of the layer above the support. It could be very useful having control about in which way the first layer above the support is crossing the structures below.
Temperature and layer height maybe is not a trivial topic. In small supported areas changing the temperature doesn’t make sense, because the hotend needs time to cool down. Maybe a „wait for cool down“ feature could help here. If you have larger supported areas it really would make sense having the possibility to cool down in order to achieve a less sticky first layer above the support.
Layer hight is a special topic (there is another thread going on). I don‘t know what consequences this feature would have for g code programming, but from the point of the user sometimes it would be great being able if we could set the distance from the support in 1/100mm and not in multiples of a layer. Maybe dividers of a layer could be a compromise, eg. 3/4 layer distance from support to supported area

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:There are support speed and flowrate at the moment.
What else you are looking for are supoort extrusion width, support cooling fan speed and support infill overlap?
The print angle is referring to support infill line angle?
Can you advise more information about temperature and layer height for support?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 am

Are you looking for separate the settings of overhang and bridging for section with and without support? As well as the fill angles?
Wait for cool down is a setting for a whole layer, if the total print time is too short, it will move the extruder to park position to pause till the time meets the set value.

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Yes, Vicky, that's what I mean: Different settings for supported areas and areas without support. It is quite obvious that e.g. a "real" bridge needs completely other parameters than a "supported bridge", where the filament needs more time to be (slightly) squeezed on top of the support. its a complex mix of speed, cooling, temperature, flowrate, and so on, in order to get a relatively smooth surface above the support

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Are you looking for separate the settings of overhang and bridging for section with and without support? As well as the fill angles?
Wait for cool down is a setting for a whole layer, if the total print time is too short, it will move the extruder to park position to pause till the time meets the set value.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks for your explanations.
We will discuss how to optimize these settings in future versions.

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Thanks a lot, sounds great and promising. I know that it is not trivial, because currently iM doesn‘t have to make a difference between supported or free hanging areas. Currently a bottom surface changes its optical appearance only because of the fact that there is „something“ close enough to lay on or not, no matter if it is a parallel solid part or a support.

Taking into consideration wether the current area of a layer should be treated as supported or „normal“ free hanging is a completely new task for ideaMaker, but i am confident that its possible and even more confident that it would be a huge step forward in improving print quality!

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Thanks for your explanations.
We will discuss how to optimize these settings in future versions.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 05, 2021 6:42 pm

ideaMaker has separate some of them already but if completely separate all the settings, it may devide the model to be hundreds of intermitent sections.
We will discuss how to optimize the result with these added options to avoid these issues in future versions.

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:01 am

certainly you are right that there will be more divisions of the model. but also at the moment it can happen that there are a lot of divisions, if you an object with lots of overhangs and bridges. its "just" one more instance of properties for ideamaker. certainly it is a lot of programming stuff, but the fact that there are more divisions shouldn't be an argument against developing these additional settings. one argument against it could be that firmware or hardware is running on a limit of max. executions, but i don't think/hope so;-)

thank you for keeping this feature in mind - its one step in a good direction. you know - 3d printing is a fast growing nd developing market. every company tries to keep with this fast changes, following its own strategy. i think its worth thinking about every possibility how to keep and get new customers. if you follow some discussions in the forums of every brand (and certainly ideaMaker/Raise3d, too), you can see that there are lots of people who watch the development of some features very detailed and sometimes also switch e.g. between Simplify3d and ideaMaker, depending on the features they need to reach their personal goals. See my feature request as a possibility to leave your competitors in the dust:-))

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:ideaMaker has separate some of them already but if completely separate all the settings, it may devide the model to be hundreds of intermitent sections.
We will discuss how to optimize the result with these added options to avoid these issues in future versions.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 07, 2021 1:14 am

Thanks for your suggestions!
We will discuss how to acheive it.

Return to “Software”