Bed levelling and first layer quality -- at wits end

KaneTW

Bed levelling and first layer quality -- at wits end

Postby KaneTW » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm

So, I got my rental Raise3D Pro2 Plus yesterday. First small prints went fine, but first layer attachment (of the included Premium PLA) was a tad strong.

Decided to check bed levelling via the calibration print, and noticed that the right side was too low.

And then the bed levelling nightmare began.

I've tried to level using the included feeler gauge, but got extremely unrepeatable results. A day of tinkering later I noticed when inserting the feeler gauge so that "there's a little friction," the entire head moves upwards!

Changed my approach a bit to only allow it to just barely slide under, and after many painstaking hours I got the sides level... only for the middle to be concave.

Decided to repeat the process with a heated bed. No luck either, except now the middle is convex.

In the end I got tired of repeating this process with an unrepeatable method and ordered a dial indicator. But:

1. Do I really need to recalibrate every time I change the bed temperature?
2. How do I avoid the convexity/concavity issue?
3. Do the non-corner screws do anything at all? I've tried adjusting them and not adjusting them, but felt like I was going in circles anyhow.

Image this is how the first layer looks like on a slightly larger print.

Markus64

Re: Bed levelling and first layer quality -- at wits end

Postby Markus64 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 am

Forget the dial gauge quickly, it will drive you crazy! The portal bars sag in the middle and the nozzle spacing is much too high at 0.2 mm. Because it was all too stupid for me, I changed the bed. The fact that I cannot remove the build plate does not cause me any problems. I can level the print bed in minutes and print perfectly. The original print bed is hell.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:57 am

(1) You should not need to re-level the bed every time that you change the bed temperature. However, something to take into consideration is that different materials may require different Z-offsets.
(2) If the bed leveling is not correct even after adjustments there is a chance that the buildplate itself is warped.
(3) The adjustment points in the center (Not corners) do still adjust the overall flatness of the bed however you should be able to adjust the bed to a usable flatness with just the 4 corner points.

KaneTW

Postby KaneTW » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm

This is the best I was able to get so far. Attempts to pull down the sides further failed, so I suspect the build plate is warped.

Plot is x/y in mm vs values in um relative to an arbitrary zero.
Attachments
indicator_plot.jpeg
2020-09-15-184713_2021x515.png

KaneTW

Postby KaneTW » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Ok, whatever. I got my corners to acceptable tolerances with some high spots in the intercardinal locations that I might mess with later.

I'll get a precision ground aluminum or glass plate later on if I decide to keep this printer. Honestly not sure I want a closed source printer with the amount of modifications required for a high level of quality.

Return to “Pro2 Series”