V2 hotend difficult to disassemble?

Daws

V2 hotend difficult to disassemble?

Postby Daws » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 am

Long story short...

I bought a complete new V2 hot end from my local reseller, before I installed it I took it apart to put some hi-temp copper grease on the threads (throat-tube, tiny screws), good practice to make it easier to pull apart for maintenance in the future.

I found that the throat tube was very difficult to remove from the heater block, this was a brand-new, unused unit (Yes, I removed the locking screw). I believe that the threads on the throat tube have been damaged by the locking screw, or the locking screw cross-drilling has not been adequately deburred, causing the thread to bind slightly. This would have been obvious to the person that assembled in in the factory.

Has anyone else noticed that the throat-tube is difficult to remove? The Raise3D V2 hotend assembly video shows the heater block spinning on easily, like it should do, there was no chance mine would do this.

The reason I bought a new hot end is because I couldn't remove the throat-tube from the old hot end without it breaking, I have lots of experience disassembling old machinery, I used every trick in the book, heat, cold, freeze sprays, lubricant etc but the only way to remove it involved breaking it, drilling it out and re-tapping.
CAD-NX Printer-Raise3D N2

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: V2 hotend difficult to disassemble?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Would you like to share some pictures of your hotend to show the damage?

Daws

Postby Daws » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 am

Hi Vicky, there is no real visible damage, my post is about the force required to disassemble the hot end.

Daws

Postby Daws » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:35 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Would you like to share some pictures of your hotend to show the damage?

Any thoughts as to why the hot end is difficult to disassemble? Can someone try to disassemble one at the Raise office?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 am

I've had some that were tough to unscrew, but never to the point of damaging the throat tube.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:57 pm

I haven't met similar issue either.
Or any chance you can record a video to show the issue you have been experiencing with?

Daws

Postby Daws » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:02 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:I haven't met similar issue either.
Or any chance you can record a video to show the issue you have been experiencing with?

Unfortunately, it's fitted to my printer and I really don't want to pull it apart to demonstrate me unscrewing a thread. If you imagine a person with mechanical sympathy unscrewing a badly formed/wrong pitch/damaged thread that has been put together by an unsympathetic worker, you'll get the general idea.

I'm a mechanical designer, I know what a proper threaded joint should feel like, the force required to unscrew the throat-tube from the heater block was significantly greater than I expected, I thought at first it may have been held in place with threadlocker but this was not mentioned on the Raise3D video or was not visible on the thread when disassembled.

From memory, there was no obvious damage visible on the Throat-tube thread but the thread is very small (M4 or M5?), even a small deformation of the thread or a rouge piece of swarf from the cross drilling will cause problems, this will likely cause damage to the thread in the heater block as it is made from aluminium.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 pm

If you can show us the issue you meet during the swapping process when you get chance to take the hotend off next time, please contact our tech support at http://help.raise3d.com. Our technicains will help do a closer look and see how we can help you.

Return to “N Series”