Is there a solution to reduce the Noisy main cooling fan?

davidbha

Is there a solution to reduce the Noisy main cooling fan?

Postby davidbha » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 pm

When I saw the working Pro2 Plus printer at the representative office I was impressed how quite it was, but when I installed it in my office I was disappointed to find that the main cooling fan is very noisy and unpleasant. There is enough space behind the printer. What can be done? Can it be replaced to a more quite model, or is there a way to control it from the touch screen? Thank you.

Markus64

Re: Is there a solution to reduce the Noisy main cooling fan?

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm

My fan is too loud too. I'm just going to replace it with a quieter model.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:26 am

Hi davidbha,
please be patient a little longer. The replacement of the loud fan for a quieter model will be my next mod. The replacement fan is much quieter with a higher air performance. I just have to match some data. I'll post it here when I'm ready.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am

The original built-in radial fan is a Nidec A35016-16 with 12 V and 30 mm height. The fan is screwed directly to the housing. Presumably this amplifies the background noise. I would recommend to first acoustically decouple the fan with 2 piece M3 vibration dampers (soft). Please no more than 6 mm in height for the damper, otherwise it can get tight and the lid no longer fits.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 am

Update:
Yesterday I took a closer look at the fan and the type of ventilation. The original radial fan has a high circulation volume of around 23.7 m³ / h and generates a correspondingly high back pressure. The fresh air is drawn in through slots on the back of the acrylic housing and discharged through the floor opening through which the cables run. I suspect that this air flow should also serve to cool the power supply in the case bottom. The problem of volume is not due to the fan alone, rather the housing itself reacts as a resonance body to the high flow velocity of the air.

If my thesis is correct, a weaker fan (quieter) might no longer be sufficient to cool the built-in electronics in the case bottom sufficiently. Soundproofing would actually be the best way to reduce flow noise. I came up with a few improvements that can be implemented practically without much effort. I hope to be able to report positively on this soon. However, I don't get the flow noise much quieter, because I would have to dismantle too much and have neither the desire nor the time.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 am

Check my post, there are multiple fans that are noisy in the Pro-2 Plus, every time you change one you realize the noise is coming from another one.
I had to replace my electronics fan, my filter fan and eventually add a resister to the PSU fan.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:40 am

@ Naser404, thanks for your tip, that helps me a lot. So that means that the Nidec radial fan is only intended for cooling the motion board ??? That would be like shooting a mosquito with a cannon!

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Unfortunately I have no good news regarding the noise reduction of the radial fan. The fan itself is quiet. However, if it is installed in the plastic box, the noise level changes dramatically. The reason for this is that the black box acts like a sound box and increases the noise level. You could remedy this by insulating the box, but this fails in practice because the box is too narrow. We will have to live with that ...

loeschau1

Postby loeschau1 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 am

Hi

Would it work if we printed the box out of TPU? To reduce noise. Of course, the wall thickness would have to increase, but the space should be sufficient.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 am

@ loeschau1,
that would be one possibility. Another would be to just put the radial fan outside where the air inlet slots are. Remove these slots and let the radial fan blow in there. Assembly with acoustic decoupling of the fastening. In the interior of the housing where the motherboard is located, you could also add a ventilation duct that directs the air flow to the circuit board for cooling. That should be doable. If the radial fan were still too loud, you could try a "normal" case fan.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Here is the cover i made in .stl format, you have to use two 90mm Fans, i would recommend Noctua fans. but since its to big to print you can split it in two pieces and no need to glue them since they will fit fine.

This will keep your electronics cool and noise levels down.

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 7a5#p44671
Attachments
Case Fans.PNG
Board cover Full Size-Right.rar
(485.81 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:08 pm

@ Naser404, thanks for sharing, I like your solution very much and is on my to-do list. :D

I still have a question for you. Your modification blows air from the installation space into the housing with the electronics. That means if, for example, 35 ° C is in the printer housing, the fans blow the motion board at this temperature.
This should also have the consequence that the temperature in the installation space drops because the warm air is extracted. Could you make this observation?
The original ventilation with the radial fan draws in fresh air through the slots in the acrylic panel. In order to avoid the scenario described above, a radial fan was selected that has the necessary suction power and is decoupled from the pressure chamber. For my part, I will deal with the topic again when all other construction sites have been completed.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Markus64 wrote:@ Naser404, thanks for sharing, I like your solution very much and is on my to-do list. :D

I still have a question for you. Your modification blows air from the installation space into the housing with the electronics. That means if, for example, 35 ° C is in the printer housing, the fans blow the motion board at this temperature.
This should also have the consequence that the temperature in the installation space drops because the warm air is extracted. Could you make this observation?
The original ventilation with the radial fan draws in fresh air through the slots in the acrylic panel. In order to avoid the scenario described above, a radial fan was selected that has the necessary suction power and is decoupled from the pressure chamber. For my part, I will deal with the topic again when all other construction sites have been completed.

Hi Markus,

Your observation is correct, however any small air passing over the electronics will help keep them cool below their failure point, so this wont hurt and i have been running this for a year already.
Second since the electronics box is at the bottom and hot air rises up then your not blowing the hottest air, finally even in a computer case, try putting a fan on top of a GPU even if its internal and its capturing hot air from inside the case, you will still see that your GPU temps are reduced.

These electronics are some times rated for +65C so anything below that should be fine.

I have mine as push+pull configuration.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:25 pm

@ Naser404, your explanation totally convinced me!
I just wonder what the developers were thinking of choosing such a loud and oversized monster for cooling the motion board? The bottom line is that it is cheaper than installing two high-quality Noctua fans.

On the occasion, I would have one more question: You can buy this inexpensive fan control from Amazon / ebay. This controller works with a temperature sensor (configurable via DIP switch) and can control up to three fans. If you remove the radial fan and use this 12V connection, you could basically insert this control board between the power line. Then connect the two Noctual fans to this board, configure everything and the issue of volume would be done.

With this configuration do I kill the 12V connection of the motion board or can the connection handle it?

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi Markus,

Even though I did study Electronics and communication at college, I have not practiced it since more then 25yrs, I am a M.E by trade for as long as I remember, so don't take my word for it but I think your fine by powering this board directly from the fan header as long as it provides constant voltage and you check the max current it can provide too.

I still think what you want to do is over kill for this application, use a regular low noise fan better.

And yes, Raise and all manufacturer have to always considers cost at the design level, and lets not forget that even they can do mistakes, hence their lousy hot-end and thermal run-aways they have with their Pro-2s which they seem to not want to admit otherwise they will have to release a free fix, I hope their new E2's doesn't suffer from the same issues but I can already see one post of nozzles clogs and only time will tell when more machines are sold.

I personally will never buy another raise.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi Naser 404,
Thank you very much for your fast reply. I will stick to your advice, install two Noctua NF-A9x14 PWMs and leave it at that.
I will never buy a Raise printer again, that's for sure. And I strongly doubt that the new E2 devices will have fewer quirks and problems. When my conversions and improvements are complete, I consider selling the printer. After all, the condition and reliability will be better than the functionality ex works. I also very much regret that the manufacturer shows no interest in providing existing customers with solutions to all of the problems. This behavior will not go well in the long run. Just my two cents ...

icy_snake

Postby icy_snake » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 am

Correct Markus, raise will be in bad trouble. They way behind the market. So bad that the will not listen.

Hope Raise will read it and start thinking!!!!!!

Return to “Pro2 Series”