Voids in Sub-layers

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Larry_MOG-TX

Voids in Sub-layers

Postby Larry_MOG-TX » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Howdy - I am trying to create a part that is basically a 100mm diameter disc that's 10mm thick with some short (1.25mm) protrusions Lines and text. I tried a few times to print with high resolution settings, but the part would fail on the top layers. I have printed with default settings and have a successful print, but still desire better resolution.

I started thinking maybe if I could print the protrusions with a different color filament the lower resolution may work. As I slice the part to determine the height of the 'pause' I noticed something. There are Voids in the sub-layers under the surface protrusions.

Here's a screenshot of what I am trying to print.
CompassCAD.PNG

Here's a screenshot of the model in IdeaMaker.
CompassIdeaTopLayer.PNG

Here is one of the sub-layers. This starts with the first layer above the infill and continues for 50 layers before the top shell.
CompassIdeaSubLayer.PNG

Is there a way to make these layers print solid?

Thanks in Advance,
Larry

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Voids in Sub-layers

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

You can try adding more top solid fill layers and see whether it can improve the result.

Larry_MOG-TX

Postby Larry_MOG-TX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:35 pm

Howdy!

Does the "Top" refer to the highest point in the Z?

As my part has the compass rays and numbers above the top surface (50 layers) and I mentioned the voids were 50 layers thick then I could have set for 100 layers for the Top Solid, right?

Brings up another question. When putting a "Pause" in a print is the Platform/Raft thickness included or only the part itself?

Thanks!!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 am

No, it not the top of the model, but the top few layers of each sections.
The pause at height is not including Raft height. You can find more information here: https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-501.html

Return to “Printing Settings”