Printing with PLA and Nylon

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vagulus

Printing with PLA and Nylon

Postby Vagulus » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 am

My project concept includes a part which is made of two materials - eSun PLA+ and eSun ePA Nylon. It would be extremely difficult to make the sub-units separately and fit them together as one would have to do with conventional manufacturing. With FDM (Raise3D Pro2) it should be possible to create the part in one print. Obviously, these two sub-parts will need to align and fit properly.

I have seen, thought I had filed, and cannot find a video tutorial which covers this sort of thing in a general way. Can someone tell me where it lurks? Any other tutorial information/advice will also be welcomed.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

87ninefiveone

Re: Printing with PLA and Nylon

Postby 87ninefiveone » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 pm

If you want to do a multi-material print, your model will have to have been created in CAD and exported to an STL or OBJ file as separate bodies. These files can then be imported into ideaMaker where you can assign an extruder to each body. If you have auto arrange turned on and they don't align correctly with one another (they should if they were assembled in CAD when exported) you'll need to go up to the Model menu in the top left corner and select "Align Selected Models" from the drop down.

You'll run into an issue with trying to print Nylon and PLA together though. The materials don't stick to one another well enough for multi-material printing to work so you may need to come up with a creative modeling based solution to make your part.

Vagulus

Re: Printing with PLA and Nylon

Postby Vagulus » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:03 am

Thanks 87ninefiveone
My parts are not intended to stick together. They will hold together mechanically rather than by fusion.
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

Return to “General”