How is the Pro2 compared with Prusa i3 MK3S and Tiertime printers?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
newraiseuser

How is the Pro2 compared with Prusa i3 MK3S and Tiertime printers?

Postby newraiseuser » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi, if we don't take the build volume into consideration, how is Raise3d's Pro 2 compared with Prusa i3 MK3S and Tiertime's Up 300 and UpBox+ 2V (eg. print quality, speed, noise)? How is the HEPA system of the Pro 2 compared with those used in Tiertime's printers?

Jetguy

Re: How is the Pro2 compared with Prusa i3 MK3S and Tiertime printers?

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:58 am

FWIW, I have a pair of MK3S Prusas since last year. I loaned one to a friend who was just starting out in 3D printing and had a few projects.

The good:
Self calibrating for squareness and accuracy, good probing bed mesh compensation (what some mistakenly call auto-leveling), excellent extruder that worked with every material thrown at it, amazing removable smooth PEI sheet bed (before the textured bed production ramped up), no less than 2 major hardware (extruder design changes) upgrades since I bought it at free or near free to me, excellent built in profile support in the included slicing software, excellent manual and troubleshooting community. I cannot even recall even one extruder problem.

The bad if you can really even call it that:
After several hundred hours of printing, the bed thermistor wiring failed from flexing. Easy enough to fix, maybe a fluke, maybe just a botched assembly, maybe a bad flexing design- I upgraded to high flex silicone cable with slightly more length and thus less sharp bends. Keep in mind, this is a moving bed printer.
Not enclosed
The PSU gets quite warm when printing ABS temps with the heated bed and extruders running more often- PSU is fanless. I heard rumors of some failing under these conditions (printing ABs or other high temps materials). Keep in mind, if you enclose the printer- then the PSU as built is inside the enclosure and even more likely to fail. In all, in 1 year, the worst failure was a cable and it was detected mid print and stopped. It might have even been recoverable much like the save feature under power loss. Parts are reasonable and plentiful and STANDARD!!! Not proprietary like much of the Raise3D system and sole source.

What I'll say. It's not as pretty or fancy as a Raise3D. It's not enclosed. It's not natively networked and the "upgrade" network solution of a Pi Zero running Octoprint leaves something to be desired. The flip side is, printing from SD card was, is, and will be the best method for 99.999% of printers made for the foreseeable future. It prints amazingly and near silently. It was darn reliable and easy to use- as proof loaned to a complete beginner. I sold my N2 plus and kept my 2 MK3 Prusas. It's not perfect, there can be slight ringing on faster prints, it is open and made more for PLA prints than ABS or other high temp materials, but I did print 1 spool of ABS parts for the upgrades and they did print in open air not enclosed. Considering you can buy several for the price of even one raise printer.......... The point is, good for beginners, good for people who just want to click print. It prints well, very well- maybe better than even a highly tuned raise3d.

Sorry, I'm jaded at this point and think the Pro2 is a steaming overpriced pile of excrement. To even consider one, I cannot defend the position any more. It's a tired design, on a good day it might be OK, but isn't even sane under current pricing. You can do better.
Scope out a https://www.fusion3design.com before you buy something else if the Pro2 was you budget.
I happen to know the owner and met him when he started up at Maker Faire NYC back in 2013.

In other words, a MK3S is good- really good and priced quite reasonably.
A step up in Pro2 class and price is the F410.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:20 am

HEPA filtration is a gimmick at best. A computer fan and some filter on a machine without even rubber or foam door seals?
Your real killer you should be worried about is DHMO https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:34 pm

I would advise to stay away from the Pro-2 until they fix the issues people complaining about (check the forums),i too have 2 MK3s and its my best printer and most reliable but the build volume is a little small.

i have two Pro-2 and i am currently facing issues with both of them, one of them had a bad screen and they wouldnt replace it for me so i decided to replace the while electronics on it with DUET-wifi and bowden system but its still under progress.

The 2nd one i replaced the extruders with a custom modified E3d but yet to complete it and test how it works.
Attachments
IMG_1212.jpg

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Naser404 wrote:I would advise to stay away from the Pro-2 until they fix the issues people complaining about (check the forums),i too have 2 MK3s and its my best printer and most reliable but the build volume is a little small.

i have two Pro-2 and i am currently facing issues with both of them, one of them had a bad screen and they wouldnt replace it for me so i decided to replace the while electronics on it with DUET-wifi and bowden system but its still under progress.

The 2nd one i replaced the extruders with a custom modified E3d but yet to complete it and test how it works.

Thanks. Besides having a larger build volume, any advantages in getting the Pro 2? The MK3S seems to be better because it has auto leveling!

marketscjr

Postby marketscjr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 pm

I have an F410 and LOVE IT! USA made too (not China made like Raise3D)

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 am

A little DHMO never hurt anybody, I get exposed to it daily and feel fine. Here in the Netherlands we live below sea level so we are extra careful with the stuff but still we can't live without it either.

On topic: the filters work about the same. Tiertime has promised gcode support which I find important but they haven't delivered yet. They have their own software, Up Studio. I am very satisfied with most prints and the build quality (I have the Up Box).

Return to “General”