Realities of printing with the Mosaic Palette 2 Pro

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JohnSays

Realities of printing with the Mosaic Palette 2 Pro

Postby JohnSays » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm

IMO the Mosaic Palette 2 Pro is a giant leap forward from the Mosaic Palette. For me it has preformed without issue using PLA and PLA+. I'll soon try some ASA and see how that goes. In the video I state that the time to print the object being printed will take 13 hours. It actually took 9 despite the prediction from the slicer of 13. There is a cost for color printing this way: (1) more time, and (2) more filament. To print the same object in one color (ie, without the logo) takes 3 hours.

Video of the printing process: https://youtu.be/jjEmAN_0deo

IMG_9827.PNG.jpg
The object being printed

Having dark green and two lighter colors requires a very thorough purge of the hot end to avoid any color mixing. I found 130mm to work for these colors. I tried with less purge and got some mixing of colors.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Jay_Omega

Re: Realities of printing with the Mosaic Palette 2 Pro

Postby Jay_Omega » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:52 pm

That purge block is HUGE!

I know when I change filament colors, it takes a while to purge the old color
before the new color comes out.

Thank you for being a pioneer merging the palette 2 with the Raise printer.
I've been debating on whether to get one since last Christmas.

Lancer21

Postby Lancer21 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for the video, it's a great help for us newbies! How hard is it to purge the hot end to avoid color issues?

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Lancer21 wrote:Thanks for the video, it's a great help for us newbies! How hard is it to purge the hot end to avoid color issues?

You don't purge the hot end yourself. The software does it. I have tried different lengths of filament to completely get the color out of the nozzle and a conservative amount is 130mm using a 0.6.. nozzle. It should be less if the nozzle is 0.4mm.

Also, switching between a dark color like the green to light colors such as yellow or light blue requires more purge than going from, say, black to dark blue. A little black in the blue or visa versa is going to be unnoticable.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Return to “General”