Anyone have a Raise3D printer?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Jacobcullen

Anyone have a Raise3D printer?

Postby Jacobcullen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:56 am

Hey all! I am interested in finally getting my own 3d printer and while doing research I found the company raise3d. It seems like a pretty good printer and very precise. I haven't been able to find too much about them though. free netflix tech news android 9 Does anyone have experience with this printer and if it's any good? Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good dual extruder printer?
Last edited by Jacobcullen on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

tja

Re: Anyone have a Raise3D printer?

Postby tja » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 am

Very happy with mine. I have made a number of improvements to it over the 2+ years I have had it, but I can't see anything on the market that is demonstrably better.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Not so happy with mine, i got two of these Pro2 and it does print, but i always get failed prints now and then.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:27 pm

I think mechanically it's the best you can get - there are some quirks but they can be worked around fairly easily. That said, Ive been printing every day for years and got my first R3D Pro2 two weeks ago. I haven't had a single issue yet but I already have lot of experience troubleshooting issues with print quality etc. I think it's an excellent first printer if you willing to put in the effort to learn. There is no printer that you just turn on and crank out prints like an HP LaserJet. You're going to have to invest lots of time learning software and how the whole thing works.

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:55 pm

ocelot27 wrote: There is no printer that you just turn on and crank out prints like an HP LaserJet. You're going to have to invest lots of time learning software and how the whole thing works.

-john

Try a Prusa MK3 or an ultimaker and you will see how reliable they are but smaller foot prints. But for the money i would definitely go for the UM5 if i could go back.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Jacobcullen wrote:Hey all! I am interested in finally getting my own 3d printer and while doing research ...

What do you see as you primary applications for 3D printing? Are you looking at it for a commercial application, or personal projects/interest? Do you have a minimum build volume requirement, or a maximum budget?

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:54 pm

The ultimaker does not have direct drive extruders which IMO is a major drawback - crisp retractions, and printing any material are important for me. That's what made the choice between the ultimaker and the R3D for me. Also the second nozzle on the ultimaker is primarily designed for support printing and the hot ends top out at 280. I'm not knocking the UM but for what I needed - printing basically any material out there, the R3D was a better choice.

chippie

Postby chippie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:44 am

ocelot27 wrote:The ultimaker does not have direct drive extruders which IMO is a major drawback - crisp retractions, and printing any material are important for me. That's what made the choice between the ultimaker and the R3D for me. Also the second nozzle on the ultimaker is primarily designed for support printing and the hot ends top out at 280. I'm not knocking the UM but for what I needed - printing basically any material out there, the R3D was a better choice.

My first post on here :D and completely agree with this! I would also add the benefit of it being totally enclosed so no added costs to add 3rd Party doors and a top cover which also look out of place IMHO.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 am

ocelot27 wrote:The ultimaker does not have direct drive extruders which IMO is a major drawback - crisp retractions, and printing any material are important for me. That's what made the choice between the ultimaker and the R3D for me. Also the second nozzle on the ultimaker is primarily designed for support printing and the hot ends top out at 280. I'm not knocking the UM but for what I needed - printing basically any material out there, the R3D was a better choice.

Which model are you talking about? The latest S5?

MMER1116

Postby MMER1116 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:28 am

After researching printers for several months I bought a Pro2 last June. Outstanding performance right out of the crate. Supports a wide range of filaments, Idea Maker Slicer is intuitive and easy to learn. Raise support is the best, very helpful with any printing issues that come up. Highly recommended.

Rhoward

Postby Rhoward » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 pm

I am in the same boat as Jacobcullen. I am between the Ultimaker S5 and the Pro2. The pro2 seems to have a lot of advantages over the S5 but there seem to be less reviews and more problems. Seems the S5 has less problems, one of the biggest seems to be the glass plate flaking. I keep getting pulled back to the Pro2 for several reasons.

1. enclosed
2. slightly larger build volume (1699.2 in^3 vs 1457.3in^3)
3. filament size is a little more available (1.75 vs 2.85)
4. Price ($4k vs 6k)
5. Just looks well built

I think the biggest down falls that I am trying to justify now are:

5. Ultimaker has a larger community (might not be true but that's what I perceive)
6. Seems that reliability can be a mixed bag. Some units just work out of the box and others not so much.
7. Like number six, the machine needs tweaking to get it to be a solid machine. I read about the member, pjyarnall, adding liquid cooled heat sinks to make the higher end materials work constantly (which I would want to be able to use). Seems the S5 just works.
8. Less after market mods compared to the prusa type machines (probably not a fair comparison).

I need a dual extrusion machine to be able to print nylons or ABS with soluble supports. A lot of the projects I work on would require support but I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning up the parts. I looked into Palette 2 but splicing the higher temp stuff is "experimental" according to their web support folks.

I would appreciate any direction/comments for picking up a pro2. Thanks!

Robert

Return to “General”