What on **** caused my N2 Dual the throw a new glass plate out of the closed door after 7 hours printing?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Spikeysonic

What on **** caused my N2 Dual the throw a new glass plate out of the closed door after 7 hours printing?

Postby Spikeysonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 pm

I just purchased a Raise 3d replacement glass plate on Sunday after the one I had developed a clip which developed into a crack then split., Just got it and installed it yesterday, clipped it into place (it seemed thinner than the last one.)

Did a tiny test print of a ring (Zero fil in the drop box) as a test print then went to print a larger file

The Diorama NBC cut stl and Nightmare before Christmas idea maker file.

It started fine around 2.30am today, woke up and inspected things which seemed fine around 9.30am, but when I got home there appears to have been some sort of layer shift which I found in the big mess not in the printer but on the floor which was covered in the glass shards of my brand new £40 glass build plate. Somehow not only was there a layer shift resulting in a plastic births nest, but the machine also appears to have ejected the glass plate through the glass door onto the floor and show how the front clips holding the plate somehow ended up at the back of the inside of the printer. Not sure how as looking at the glass fragments expected them to be across the room.

The glass plate as said appeared a fair bit thinner than the one I had before that had got a chip that developed into a crack them split hence needing a new one from you.

This took a fair bit of bed levelling but as said it seems to be working fine when started then a good 7 hours later when it was over 1 cm deep. Also it appeared on the rejected part to have been trying to add a top layer. I've included photos of what I found. The only exception being having picked up the failed prin. I tried to place it back as close as it was when I found the mess.

Why did your new glass plate get ejected out of the Raise 3d Printer as a need to work out what happened before any attempt to try this with a replacement, did you send me the wrong plate?

See the drop box photo album which includes the printed files

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ke9svp3ratzr3i3/AABHb9cdhbOOHgh5QQcjE2rPa?dl=0

Serial 10091622009

DeX

Re: What on **** caused my N2 Dual the throw a new glass plate out of the closed door after 7 hours printing?

Postby DeX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:54 am

got this one time too! glass - dead, buildtak - dead.
I just bought a simple glass at glass workshop, stick new buildtak on it and keep printing )

jetdillo

Re: What on **** caused my N2 Dual the throw a new glass plate out of the closed door after 7 hours printing?

Postby jetdillo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:23 am

Spikeysonic wrote:I just purchased a Raise 3d replacement glass plate on Sunday after the one I had developed a clip which developed into a crack then split., Just got it and installed it yesterday, clipped it into place (it seemed thinner than the last one.)

Serial 10091622009

When you say "clipped it into place", what do you mean ?
Have you secured it with clips other than the ones at the back of the metal stage ?
I've been using binder-clips(black metal clip things meant for holding stacks of paper together) for a couple years now and have never had this happen. On occasion, after cleaning the glass and re-applying PVA or glue-stick, I've forgotten to put the clips back in place and have seen the glass shift a bit or the print be a little bit wonky.

You need to clamp the glass on the other 3 sides: left, right and front, in addition to seating it in the back. Those back clips are meant to provide a way to seat the plate and align it, but aren't supposed to be the only way to hold it in place. You need to have a positive grip on the other sides too.

I know some people here hate binder clips because it takes away a few cm from the overall build area, but you have to do something and they're readily available at office-supply stores if you don't already have them around your house.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 am

I used the 4 silver metal clips that came with the machine. 2 front 2 clips back. Whrn switched back on it mentioned serial error

tja

Postby tja » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:04 am

This happened to my N1 and I was using binder clips at the time. It only seems to happen when I'm printing multiple items at at time. My assumption is that there is a nozzle collision with one of the parts, which doesn't happen on single parts because the plastic is still warm and soft. But when it cools down and hardens any small blobs on top can be struck by the nozzle travelling at speed. For this reason I usually only print single, or max 4 pieces, at a time.

A valuable addition to IM would be sequential printing, which Vicky tells me that they are working on. In the meantime, if you need to print a lot of parts at a time, a workaround might be to add a small Z hop, although I haven't tried this myself.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Z-axis calibration and Z hoop value. And few more adjustments...

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Raise3D has been "working on" sequential printing for at least the last two years.
Don't hold your breath waiting, instead, try a fully-functional slicer, such as Cura or Slic3r.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:02 pm

What z axis calibration and what z hoop adjustments please

Whats sequential printing?

tja

Postby tja » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

Z axis calibration is setting the extruder nozzle height above the build platform. Raise3D provide a feeler gauge, I prefer to use a piece of 80gsm photocopy paper.

Z hop is a setting that moves the platform down before the nozzle makes a non-print move, then returns to the previous z position as it resumes printing. Default is zero.

With multiple models on the platform, ideaMaker slices them to print 'simultaneously'. It prints layer 1 for all models, then layer 2 etc. Sequential printing would slice them to print all of model 1, then all of model 2 etc. It has to navigate around the models on the platform to avoid collisions, which requires more route planning and increases the risk of more glass platforms on the floor if they get it wrong :D :D

Return to “Hardware”