LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
jvingaard
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 am

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby jvingaard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:28 pm

What is the latest firmware w/bltouch from ABH?

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 am

mb300sd wrote:FYI, 1.1.9ABH also has Junction Deviation enabled, which replaces the old Jerk settings. The default is 0.02. Try 0.05, and WOW I can print fast. Set with M205 J0.05. Adjust it during the middle of a print to really see the difference. (SSH in, "echo M205 J0.05 > /dev/ttyACM0")

Edit:
0.08, not noticing any difference in surface finish, but my whole machine vibrates the way it used to on 1.1.6, and layer times cut to 1/3.


I've tried this and have not yet seen any difference. Is there a switch to set in the code first and then recompile?
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

mb300sd
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby mb300sd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 pm

JohnSays wrote:
mb300sd wrote:FYI, 1.1.9ABH also has Junction Deviation enabled, which replaces the old Jerk settings. The default is 0.02. Try 0.05, and WOW I can print fast. Set with M205 J0.05. Adjust it during the middle of a print to really see the difference. (SSH in, "echo M205 J0.05 > /dev/ttyACM0")

Edit:
0.08, not noticing any difference in surface finish, but my whole machine vibrates the way it used to on 1.1.6, and layer times cut to 1/3.


I've tried this and have not yet seen any difference. Is there a switch to set in the code first and then recompile?


You should be able to change it in one of the configuration headers. Search for 0.02

The SSH method definitely works though, might depend in your other settings how much it effects print speed. You can send any gcode you want using SSH, even during a print. I've found it really useful for adjusting things that the touchscreen can't.

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm

mb300sd wrote:
JohnSays wrote:
mb300sd wrote:You should be able to change it in one of the configuration headers. Search for 0.02

The SSH method definitely works though, might depend in your other settings how much it effects print speed. You can send any gcode you want using SSH, even during a print. I've found it really useful for adjusting things that the touchscreen can't.


Thanks for the response.

Are you saying that I should change the setting in the config file and not to use the M205 J0.05 in the initialization code? I can do that if needed.

I have never tried to SSH in. My printer is on 192.168.0.19. What commands would I use to send and receive data? Better yet, is there a thread on doing this?
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

mb300sd
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby mb300sd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 pm

JohnSays wrote:
mb300sd wrote:
JohnSays wrote:


Thanks for the response.

Are you saying that I should change the setting in the config file and not to use the M205 J0.05 in the initialization code? I can do that if needed.

I have never tried to SSH in. My printer is on 192.168.0.19. What commands would I use to send and receive data? Better yet, is there a thread on doing this?


Initialization code should work fine.

You can't receive anything, since the touchscreen app takes control of the serial port, but linux allows another app to write to it.

echo GCODE_HERE > /dev/ttyACM0

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Thanks!
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

jvingaard
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 am

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby jvingaard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 am

i am using 1.1.8ABH firmware. do i need to enable FRS in the firmware, for it to work?

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm running ABH's 1.1.9 single N2. I have found that if I try to set a PID setting manually that the system hangs on the save and I have to hard reboot. If I use the auto tune PID function and try to save the results, again the machine hangs and requires a hard boot. After the restart, the PID values have not changed. The only way I can change the PID values is if I auto tune in ABH's firmware, write the values down, then load the stock firmware and manually save the values. Then, of course, I reload the 1.1.9ABH firmware.

Now a workaround may be to load the PID values at the start of a print job using M302 as in "M302 D108.03 I4.26 P42.91". I believe this will load into active RAM, but must be run at the start of each print job. I can live with that, but I would like to know what is causing the problem such that the ABH firmware is not able to save PID values.

I do a lot of hot end swapping and so need to run the PID tune often.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

User avatar
ocelot27
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:39 pm
Location: Malvern, PA

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby ocelot27 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Big fan of linear advance/non-linear extrusion on my current printer - awaiting new Pro2 - anyone know if linear advance is implemented on the Pro2 in any form?

-john

Jetguy
Posts: 2710
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:40 am
Location: In a van, down by the river

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm

ocelot27 wrote:Big fan of linear advance/non-linear extrusion on my current printer - awaiting new Pro2 - anyone know if linear advance is implemented on the Pro2 in any form?

-john


For the second time today- this was answered NO.


Version 0.0.66 - Oct 29, 2018

Rewrite junction/jerk algorithm. Optimized planning strategy for better acceleration control.
Added basic thermal protection function if the heating speed is lower than 1.8C/s, firmware will throw out an Error. (If running with modified cooling or different fans. heating speed may lower than 1.8C/s).
Implemented new USB communication protocol, shifted from single thread protocol to multi process safe protocol, improved USB latency.
Implemented basic fast pause/stop function.
Enlarged planning buffer size from 16 to 32, to improve performance under random USB communication delay while doing high speed printing with very short segments.
Version 1.1.6-rev1 - November 2, 2017

Add history tracking into thermal runaway function
Reimplemented thermal runaway function, added protection while changed by gcode
Temperature reporting during heating period fixed
Enlarged thermal runaway protection range to fix the thermal error on certain machines
Add extruder number while throwing out max or min temperature error to help identify the corresponding thermalcouple
Add compile option for single extruder. (uncomment #define DUAL to get dual head version.) In case to avoid the damaged second thermocouple on single head machine to generate an error
Modified M112 kill function to implement fast stop feature

They are still fighting to get thermal runaway correct- let alone actually do anything advanced.
Total amateur hour- that's what this is- and closed source on top of that, so you get what they provide- which is junk.

Jetguy
Posts: 2710
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:40 am
Location: In a van, down by the river

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby Jetguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm

N series= open source compatible, easily upgradeable, user can add latest features.

Pro2 series= totally closed source, limited functionality- waiting for raise 3D to catch up to even basic features now offered in other firmwares and begging for them to get it right.

I'm saying this because you have a potential Pro2 owner asking in an N series topic.

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 am

Welcome back Jetguy
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

ABH
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby ABH » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:42 pm

JohnSays wrote:I'm running ABH's 1.1.9 single N2. I have found that if I try to set a PID setting manually that the system hangs on the save and I have to hard reboot. If I use the auto tune PID function and try to save the results, again the machine hangs and requires a hard boot.

I have fixed this issue in the 1.1.9ABH firmware for the motion controller.
The links here:
http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6244&start=80#p35108
can be used for downloading the compiled binaries for direct flashing.

User avatar
JohnSays
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL

Re: LIN_ADVANCE = better extrusion control

Postby JohnSays » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:27 am

Thank you ABH. I'll add my BerdAir switch and recompile.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head


Return to “Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest