Power Supply keeps blowing

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Romanazzi96

Power Supply keeps blowing

Postby Romanazzi96 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 am

Hey Everyone,

Im on my 3rd power supply now after blowing 2 up. I started a 60 hour print and at about 40 hours my power supply blows something and turns to junk. My Printer has bond tech extruders and panucatts stepper motor drivers for X and Y but that never seemed to be a problem with my prints. I have no idea why this is happening. is there an upgraded power supply out there to switch too?

Jetguy

Re: Power Supply keeps blowing

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:00 am

Meanwell are some of the best supplies around. Raise 3D did not skimp on the PSU. Also, these power supplies have good protection against overload on the DC side, so the obvious concern is why is your power all the sudden so bad? By that I mean the AC power coming from the wall?

Again, on the N2 series, the power supply is definitely oversized and plenty extra capacity. If you are blowing it, there is no magical supply that will do better.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 am

Really??? You joined in December? So if that's when you got this and it's the beginning of March, you managed to blow 3 power supplies???? Meanwhile, I cannot remember of the hundreds of other users the last time anyone had a power supply fail, let alone 3. Users have blow the fuse in the power entry socket- users have complained of loud fans, but not blowing 3 PSUs......

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 am

Sorry, I'm not trying to accuse you of anything or say this is "your fault", please don't take it that way.
My point is that I own all 3 Raise 3D printers, 2 of them some of the first units ever made, been running and powered all this time and never ever had a failure. In fact, I changed fan setups to intentionally slow down the fans to reduce noise- so technically, if there was ever going to be an overload or overheat failure- you'd think I'd be one of the ones to see it. I read every post in the this forum, every single day- that's 90% of how I know what I know about this printer. So if there was a rash of PSU failures, I would hope I knew or caught wind of it.

But, I also do not know what changes Raise 3D makes from one week to the next on the production line. In some of the discussions there is a slightly different N2/N2Plus style PSU, but that may be because Meanwell changed models slightly.

So what exact model of PSU have you replaced 3 times?
What voltage are you running in your location? 120V or 220V?
Do you have this printer on a battery backed UPS/surge protector/line conditioner? If not, strongly would consider one.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 am

This is the power supply that is in my N2 and N2Plus the SP500-24 (24V 480Watt) http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/260/mean%20w ... 342993.pdf
In addition, like I was bragging about, they boast an overload factor 105-135% of "rated"power.

From this post, this appears to be the new model some are shipping with viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6377&p=25582&hilit=rsp#p25582 This is the RSP 500-24 and that technically has a higher output rating than even the earlier SP 500 series. Here is that data sheet http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/produ ... od=RSP-500

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 am

Another thing to keep in mind and read that data sheet, inrush current is 20A on US 120V and 40A on 230V.
I've warned about it before and again, one person managed to blow the fuse in the power entry panel switch socket. If you have shoddy intermittent power, you will inrush to charge the capacitors and for a short time, this draws a lot of power!!!
Again, would not be surprised that if you have a bad connection- that could and would be really bad for the PSU and blow fuses or worse.

Yes, these have inrush limiters- but there is a limit there too and not meant for back to back surge of this losing connection, then powering back up in a short time span. That's why I said, I have real concerns you are on some questionable power.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 am

You could use a surge protector and a ground fault interruptor before the printer. That way if they trip you know that the problem is with the current and not with your printer. (And they are good to have any way.)

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:51 pm

I can not imagine blowing up three PSU's at all, yet in such a short time frame. My first guess next to one bad unit for such a failure would be lightnings from a thunder storm, but that seems to be out of question in this case.

There are number of things which coudn't be ok, what Jetguy already stated, like the wall socket has a bad connection, the installation wires somewhere between the wall socket and the house fuse having an intermittend connection or you just too close to a big transformer station and get voltage spikes when they switch the really big powered lines. Especially if your running at 110V. But that should have taken other tolls than just the PSU of the printer.

I'd check the installation wires from the wall socket to the fuse. There's most likely a loose connection somewhere. Surge protection and ground fault interruptor are good advise too.

As a crude solution, i'd go out and get two 12V/20 Ah motorcyle batteries and two 12V/15 Amp simple car chargers, no trickle chargers. Hook them batteries up in series and power the printer from those batteries. Connect them two chargers each to one of the batteries and enjoy (PSU-)fanless printing as a bonus ....

Romanazzi96

Postby Romanazzi96 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:53 am

Thank you jet guy for the information. none of this made sense to me either but now that you mentioned the wall socket that must be the issue because i just moved the printer into my garage. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Return to “Hardware”