PETG Settings

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
zemlin

Re: PETG Settings

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am

Raess wrote:@zemlin Do you mean to print without ANY active cooling?

I print with the fan covers on - no active cooling - and i get very strong, clean parts.

Raess

Postby Raess » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm

No mess in the first and top layers?
Follow the construction of the Valify robot lawnmower [http://valify.se]

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Raess wrote:No mess in the first and top layers?

Nope. I get nice surfaces. I set my extruder multiplier to 95% of the measured calibration factor on a vase-mode cube to prevent over extrusion.

Raess

Postby Raess » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am

Ok. I am trying to print a big part Now without cooling. Seems to work perfekt. I needed to increase Flowrate for first layer in order to get it to stick. But layers look sweet! Running at 115% and then 104%

Lets See in 28h
60C9B62E-8D01-4990-8EE4-C25C6F14C80B.jpeg
Last edited by Raess on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the construction of the Valify robot lawnmower [http://valify.se]

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am

Raess wrote:.... and then 104%

Lets See in 28h
60C9B62E-8D01-4990-8EE4-C25C6F14C80B.jpeg

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you !!

In regards to flowrate ...

Seems like you didn't dial the filament in ...

To get things to work as expected, you need to adjust basic and filament-specific parameters.

First of all, you need to dial in steps per millimeter. I.e., BondTech says with the DualDirect, steps per should be at 415. I came out with 430 on mine instead.

To check this, you have to mark the filament just above the entrance of the extruder and 100 mm above the first mark. Then command the extruder via display/utilites to extrude 100mm filament at target temperature. After that, measure the actual length of movement. Then use the formula ((moved_length x old_e-steps) / 100) = new_e-steps. Correct the e-step value over the display and check again, marking another 100mm and extrude them afterwards. If it checks out, fine, if not, repeat procedure until things are in check. The filament you use for this procedure does not matter as long as it extrudes fine, but it should be at near standard temperature to rule out any interference.

You only have to this one time, or again after mounting a different extruder drive.

Next step is dialing in your filament. Print a X30xY30xZ20 single wall(=spiral vase mode) at your target extrusion width and temperature at the upper end of temperature range, measure wall thickness as precise as you can, i for one use a cheap 1/1000 mm mikrometer for this. You can take three measurements on each side, write them 12 down and compute the mathematical average. Using the formula ((actual_width_average x old_flowrate)/target_width) = new_flowrate you'll find out the flowrate you need to extrude to get the wall thickness right. I prefer to having the wall a bit wider than it should be, i.e. 0.410 at EW 0.400, or 0.510 at 0.500 EW. Gives a bit extra extrusion bond between the lines without hampering overall precision too much.

To find best temperature setting, print a temperature tower, single wall, X20xY20xZ80 and elevate temperature every Z20. Start with the lowest recommended temp for your filament and rise it 5 °C every Z20, in other words, cover somewhat the temperature range of you material. You'll see and feel the difference when pulling and tearing this object apart. Choose what works for best, if you want, redo this with narrower temperature steps until you're happy.

You then proceed with temperature/bridging tests until you find the sweet spots of your material. And print away this filament happily until the spool is empty.

Return to “Printing Settings”