Intermittent WiFi Connection

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
checktest

Intermittent WiFi Connection

Postby checktest » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Anybody else experience intermittent WiFi connection with their printer? Seems like half the time I go to connect or upload, it won't work.

It will go from working to not working, or vice versa, even in between prints (without having reset the printer, computer, or router). Sometimes resetting those things will get it working again, but never consistently.

woofy

Re: Intermittent WiFi Connection

Postby woofy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 pm

If you have an android phone, download "wifi analyser" from the playstore (I don't know if there is an iPhone version). It can monitor signal levels and you can measure around the printer to see if its in a not spot.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

checktest

Postby checktest » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Thanks. I think I've got decent wifi in that room. It's only about 30 feet from the router, without any major obstructions in the way. 60 Mbps download speed using speedtest app. About -60 dBm signal using wifi analyzer.

woofy

Postby woofy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm

That should be plenty of signal.
The only other thing I had was the lease time on the router was too short, and the dhcp assigned a new ip to the printer too quickly. I increased the lease time and had no more problems. It doesn't sound like your problem though.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

checktest

Postby checktest » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Hmm, well I'll try that and see if it helps at all.

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 am

Yeah, Ive had this problem for months now. changing the DHCP lease time made no difference. Sometimes when the machine is powered on it will connect to my wifi I have setup, but most of the time I have to manually go into the settings on the touchscreen and tell it to connect to the network. It remembers the password and always grabs the same IP, so I don't really know why its not working.. I dont turn off my printer much though so its not a big issue for me, just annoying sometimes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Please advise which version of touchscreen firmware and ideaMaker you are currently using.

checktest

Postby checktest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

IdeaMaker 2.4.0.585 and firmware 1.1.1. I also see "Version 0.8.0.501".

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Have you ever met disconnection between your computer and your printer in remote control page in ideaMaker?

checktest

Postby checktest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Yes

Was working fine an hour ago...but now it's not again

Capture.JPG

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 am

How about uploading fail? Does it can upload some at the beginning but stuck then? Or it stuck from the beginning?

checktest

Postby checktest » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Yes also fails uploading, only at the same time that it won't connect to the printer. Just won't start uploading, never fails part way through uploading.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 am

If it will be disconnected during remote control, that should be unstable network environment.

Phife

Postby Phife » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Mine does the same thing and I can tell you, its not an unstable network environment. I have no other issues with any other device on Wifi, just this printer.

Ive accepted the fact that R3D has no idea what the problem is and will probably never fix it. So I just live with it, its a minor pain in the ass compared to the other issues the machine has.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:54 am

Phife wrote:Mine does the same thing and I can tell you, its not an unstable network environment. I have no other issues with any other device on Wifi, just this printer.

Ive accepted the fact that R3D has no idea what the problem is and will probably never fix it. So I just live with it, its a minor pain in the ass compared to the other issues the machine has.

If you are using the latest version of ideaMaker and touchscreen firmware, and still not good connection. Please shoot a ticket on our support system. We will help you check out the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

I have been having the problems for a long time. I always thought it was just me. The wireless router is about 3 feet away from the printer. It will be lightning fast for one upload, then hang on the next upload (at start). Also, if i connect to "print" via computer to scroll through prints on local memory, it will go very slow and eventually disconnect. I then have to turn wifi on printer on and off and it fixes. but it happens again in an hour or two.

Also, i wanted to plug in an ethernet cable but it proved to be more trouble than it's worth. Like Phife - i just assume it's just something i live with.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

I sent a ticket about it about 6 months ago and you guys went through your basic checks and just told me its my network.

On a side note, today I was logged into the Wifi router and I could see the ip address for the printer, it was reporting the printer as connected to the network, but the printer did not show the Wifi icon along the top and I could not send files or anything with Ideamaker. So for some reason the printer is connected to the wifi router but it thinks its not. I have to go into the settings on the touchscreen and connect the the network manually.

Mine will stay connected to wifi once I manually do it, but will not automatically connect after power cycle about 75% of the time.

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 pm

The same thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm

I have been dealing with support about this same issue on 2 brand new Dual Plus printers. They suggested using mobile hotspot to verify that the printer can connect to a network - it fails to connect everytime. I cannot connect these printers using ethernet as our clean room doesnt have network access. They keep putting the issue off. Part of our business is hacking electronics and getting them to interface with eachother and this is clearly an issue with Raise3D hardware/software. Both printers are less than 2 months old and have had the issue since day 1. Wont rest until I am provided a solution.

Aldea

Postby Aldea » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Hey Pearson,

I know this is an old post but did you ever get a fix on the problem? I have been having a similar issue except the machine shuts off when connected to the WiFi after a few hours. The exact same situation with support put me off and want me to connect to another network and the problem has existed since day 1. I did so much troubleshooting on this machine that if I had been paid an hourly rate for it would have been able to buy a whole new machine!

Return to “General”