Camera suggestions?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Tringia

Camera suggestions?

Postby Tringia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

Got my N2 up and running, starting to do some longer prints would love to hear some suggestions on Camera's...

Ideally, I would able to view the camera video live along with the remote printer screen through my VPN remotely. I would also at the same time like to capture the video.

I know nothing about what the Raise Camera Tab offers, or where to find that info. The Camera suggested, Deepcam, is a cloud based setup, which is not what I want. Also the app continually crashed on my phone (Samsung S5) and tablet (Samsung Note Pro) when I was checking it out.

I am assuming the USB at the top left is for the camera, but what function, besides power can it perform?
If I add a webcam can I view the video remotely through the software?
Will this be in a future HMI update? Cuz that would be cool!
Go-pro will do it but it's pricey, IP cam will to... Any embedded solutions?

As you can see I have a few questions.

Just another Newbie,
Rich

Zettlinger

Re: Camera suggestions?

Postby Zettlinger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 pm

webcam is not integrated with raise3d software at all so you will need other software

I myself have a 4MP camera that can pan and tilt in there and linked my domain to the camera to be able to watch it.
if i want to control the printer i use teamviewer to take over a pc at home and start ideamaker
(usually i am in the same room as the printer though and only use the camera at that time to cast it to my tv for lazy viewing :) )

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Thanks, Zettlinger
That's what I figured, I am looking at a few IP cams which rotate, tilt and zoom.
It would be great if Raise could add some webcam functionality to that Linux computer sitting behind the touchscreen.

Phife

Postby Phife » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:28 pm

Im using an Amcrest ProHD Wifi Indoor PTZ camera from Amazon, great price, clear image, works well with many aftermarket ip camera apps. I use TinyCam

I got it setup wirelessly, its inside my N2+ Dual and I have it mounted at the back, just beside the cable chain with a good view of the bed. Ive run it in there even when printing Polycarbonate at 260C and 110C bed and the camera still ran fine. Mounting inside gives a clearer view of the print.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:26 am

Sorry if this is harsh, but I addressed this in the old forum and it's cropped up again here.
2 Things:
#1 No, adding a service running taking up CPU cycles, no matter how little you think it is could affect the fact that it's printer first and the main job is streaming gcode consistently to the motion control board is a bad idea. The original camera was totally and completely separate from the system and did it's own network and streaming function.

#2 That cute little USB cable is plugged into the pcDuino and steals power from it. I think it's horrible idea to plug anything into it as is, even the camera originally offered. If you short or overload that, it either shuts down the pcDuino or could damage it. I removed mine on my N2 and if I ever wanted it back, I would use a dedicated voltage regulator from the 24V source and bypass anything that touched the pcDuino as a load.

Again, the 2 things are not a free for all.
#1 is CPU cycles are not "spare". Yes it might work, but no, I'd be furious if they added streaming service in a raisepack update and there was even a remote chance it impacted performance. I'm not saying there is a problem, but that doesn't advocate just adding more resource consumption for a "nice to have feature". If you want to add something, it had better not even remotely have the slightest chance of affecting performance.
#2 5V power is limited, very limited. Worse, it's not just if the camera stops working, it's your entire printer could become a doorstop when you short or overload that USB port.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 am

Bringing links from the old forum where a lot of this was covered. The way the old forum worked, it collapses the replies and will show a number of posts hidden in a little blue bubble so be sure to click on that and expand to read all the replies.
"Alternate cameras?"
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/community ... te-cameras

Thread where maximum USB power and understanding of the pcDuino hardware is detailed:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=800&p=7571&hilit=usb+power#p7571

Again, proof is right here where a user plugged in a different camera, it drew too much power and caused issues with the PC Duino.
Best advice is do not plug anything in but the official camera, and I'm telling you don't even do that because of what could go wrong.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=800&p=7571&hilit=usb+power#p7528

I get it, you see the USB plug and you assume everything is OK. As much as I like Raise 3D and love my printers, there are weak spots and this is one of them, it's not a good plan to load the heart of the system.

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 am

Jetguy,

Thank you for the lesson!

I searched the forum for "camera" before asking, none of posts listed answered my questions.

I know little to nothing about the PCDuino, and just learned from your reply that it is the embedded Linux machine in the N2 I have heard about. I do have a bit of experience with raspberry Pi's and Beaglebones. I am guessing the PCDuino does not have a real time co-processor like the BBB does, which would allow this type of add-on functionality.

I agree... They should do nothing that could diminish the machines core function!

I actually just purchased the IP camera Phife suggested on Amazon, it looks like it will fit my needs nicely. Thanks Phife!

I will also avoid using the USB port now that I know it draws its power from the PCDuino.

You seem like the go to guy for these printers... I will need to spend some time marinating in your posts, maybe I can absorb some of your expertise.

By the way, not harsh, I am a seasoned tech, and I too know the frustration of silly questions.
I appreciate your consideration and your time,
Rich

xygote

Postby xygote » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:28 pm

I own one of the amcrest prohd ptz cameras. It is not really good for monitoring prints. its focus range is meant for mid to far range viewing. Anything less than a couple feet is pretty blurry. There are also a host of other problems with the camera that don't make it a good choice, but the focus is really the bottom line. I have been messing with rasberryPi cams with some good results, but no ptz on them yet.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 am

I just use a usb webcam and a custom mount. The usb camera is attached to a computer running Blue Iris web cam software. I use it to monitor multiple outdoor cameras and my printer. The nice thing is that I could add multiple printer and multiple cameras if I want to. Everything is accessible securely from any location on my computer and my phone.

This only works if you're ok running a pc 24/7.

PS: The software also records, so I have great time-lapse video of all of my prints.
Raise3D N2+

woofy

Postby woofy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:33 am

I use an old phone, a Galaxy Ace with Android 2 running the free "IP Webcam" from the playstore. It works a treat.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

Phife

Postby Phife » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Xygote, if you got one of the ProHD Amcrests, then you can easily adjust the focus on it by turning the ring around the lens. I use the Raise3d tweezers to turn the ring. Its quite simple to adjust the focus while viewing it with a cell phone. If that what the biggest issue with that cam was, its a simple 1min fix.

What "hosts" of other problems did you have with that camera? I havent had any issues with it myself..

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:16 am

Xygote / Phife,

Just received my ProHD, works great!
Setup was easy, focus was easy (as you stated Phife), video and snap shots are great...
Can't wait to setup a nice long print.
Next step connecting to the N2 remotely (Thru the web), this way I can watch and if necessary pause a print remotely.

Phife

Postby Phife » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 am

Tringia wrote:Xygote / Phife,

Just received my ProHD, works great!
Setup was easy, focus was easy (as you stated Phife), video and snap shots are great...
Can't wait to setup a nice long print.
Next step connecting to the N2 remotely (Thru the web), this way I can watch and if necessary pause a print remotely.

It is simple to setup teamviewer onto a computer thats on the same network as the printer, also have ideamaker on the same computer. You can then use teamviewer to connect to that computer and control ideamakers's remote window to control the printer.

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Phife,
Thanks for the info, I use GoToMeeting often now and was considering using it, but I am intrigued by Teamviewer and will look into it. My first thought was to set up a VPN, or put the N2 IP DMZ so I can access it from anywhere. I do not now have a computer dedicated to the printer, I may setup ideamaker on the server and access it that way.
Lots to consider!
I will let you know haw it turns out.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:59 am

I strongly recommend not to do this, "put the N2 IP DMZ so I can access it from anywhere".

This is not a hardened computer, It has limited security and while they did add a default SSH password, this is the bare minimum protection.
Again, the effect of putting this accessible to the world is a risky idea. You might think nobody wants to hack it but remember, they may not even care it's a printer. You could find yours hacked and serving as a relay for spam and other services- maybe a jump box for another network hack.

Tringia

Postby Tringia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 am

Jetguy,

I predicted you would answer this!
I told my wife as I was writing it, that someone, probably you, would caution me on using such a foolish method. I almost edited that line out, but then I figured I would leave it.

Rest assured that I will not put my N2 outside my firewall. But I did consider it, for a brief moment.

You are really on the ball, thank you for your commitment to this forum, and newbies like me!

clyde

Postby clyde » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 am

What kind of camera do you want? The budget?

clyde

Postby clyde » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 am

Something like here would work well

Return to “General”