Proto Pasta Stainless Steel

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DS2017

Proto Pasta Stainless Steel

Postby DS2017 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm trying to print large architectural model pieces using ProtoPasta's Stainless Steel PLA filament.

We are using a N2+, stock everything.

It's a finicky filament to work with.
I want to know if any of you have tried it.

I get a lot of clicking/slipping on the extruder gear using it.
I checked their website and it says the filament has a density of 2400 kg/m3...
That's pretty much double of standard PLA?
So I'm assuming that it's having trouble extruding it and its putting pressure on the extruder gear.

I finally got the clicking away by reducing the flowrate down to 40%!
Or by reducing the speed greatly and increasing the temperature by a lot.
Of course all of this affects the print itself in some way.

Any tips/suggestions on getting this filament to work? I love the finish of it when it does print properly.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless Steel

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:14 am

For starters, lets make sure you are using a hardened nozzle. If you are using the standard brass, you will most likely need to throw it out now being that the metal in the plastic will have eaten through the nozzle tip and changed the diameter.

From there you are on the right track, reducing the flow rate of the material is ideal and increasing temp will help as well. I know we have done some printing in the office with this material but it has been a while, ill need to find who had the profile we tested it with.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm

i have used multiple rolls of it. first off, you have to step up to a .6mm nozzle. the stainless steel particles can measure up to .4mm in size. i do not use the stock extruder, i have a Bondtech dual direct drive. extruder temp at 210 c and bed at 60c.
Last edited by Rogman on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:For starters, lets make sure you are using a hardened nozzle. If you are using the standard brass, you will most likely need to throw it out now being that the metal in the plastic will have eaten through the nozzle tip and changed the diameter.

From there you are on the right track, reducing the flow rate of the material is ideal and increasing temp will help as well. I know we have done some printing in the office with this material but it has been a while, ill need to find who had the profile we tested it with.

We also have a CR10S where we use it for test printing complex geometries or exotic materials. I've printed plenty of stainless steel on the CR10S stock nozzle and so far it seems fine. I've also already done a few prints on the N2+ with regular PLA after testing the stainless steel on it.

I do have 4 extra hardened nozzles I ordered from you guys but I'm going to keep the stock nozzle on until I see bad prints.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Rogman wrote:i have used multiple rolls of it. first off, you have to step up to a .6mm nozzle. the stainless steel particles can measure up to .4mm in size. i do not use the stock extruder, i have a Bondtech dual direct drive. extruder temp at 210 c and bed at 60c.

That's interesting... I'm playing with some Tungsten filled ABS at the moment, which I bet gives the same issues. I've tried multiple fixes much the same as the OP but my current 0.4mm nozzle seems to be the limitation. I've also experienced the dreaded clicking signalling a failed print. I've just ordered a 0.6mm nozzle and Bondtech drive as per your setup - hoping this fixes things.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

DeftCad, i just wanted to let you know that i chewed up the hardened nozzles like candy with the Gmass Tungsten filament. i would go through a nozzle per roll. Microscope pictures showed my nozzle at .8 to .9mm after a 1Kg roll. i am trying a ruby nozzle right now.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Rogman wrote:DeftCad, i just wanted to let you know that i chewed up the hardened nozzles like candy with the Gmass Tungsten filament. i would go through a nozzle per roll. Microscope pictures showed my nozzle at .8 to .9mm after a 1Kg roll. i am trying a ruby nozzle right now.

WOW! I knew it would be bad when their leaflet states, 'check every 2 hours' but I didn't realise it would be THAT bad! The job I'm looking to produce would be ten's of hours so I may have to look at using a ruby nozzle as well.

I've PM'd you on the back of this in another thread btw.

Return to “Printing Settings”