Thin Walls - Single Extrusion Fill?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DeftCAD

Thin Walls - Single Extrusion Fill?

Postby DeftCAD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:36 pm

In Simplify3D there's an option under Advanced > Thin Wall Behaviour called Internal Thin Wall Type. If this is changed to Allow Single Extrusion Infill, rather than print the infill of a thin wall as diagonal lines, which look like zig-zags, it does it in a single pass, much like a shell. See snips below:
zig zag infill.PNG

Single line infill.PNG

I'm printing transparent PET-G and want the curved face (arrowed) to be as clear as possible: I think the single line infill will help achieve this. Is there a setting in IdeaMaker to do this? The wall is 1.2mm thick.

I'm not using S3D because there is no profile for PET-G. Thought I'd see if IdeaMaker can do this before I make one.

Squenz

Re: Thin Walls - Single Extrusion Fill?

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Try to print a part with the 1.2 thickness at 0.61 extrusion width. This should give you only two shells and a solid structure.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Squenz wrote:Try to print a part with the 1.2 thickness at 0.61 extrusion width. This should give you only two shells and a solid structure.

That's interesting - I'll try.

Since posting, I've created a PETG profile on S3D using the Ideamaker PETG settings as a guide. To say it makes a bit of a difference would be an understatment... I tried to keep all the parameters the same and the wall thickness of the parts below are the same thickness, but I can see my desk through the S3D one! Not having those zig-zags does wonders for the clarity.
lenses.PNG

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 pm

If your wall thickness is 2 or 4 times the extrusion width and you choose 2 shells. Then you should get the result you are after. A wall with 2 or 4 shells with no infill. If the wall is 6 times the nozzle width, choose 3 shells. And so on. (But I agree that there should be an option to have the infill follow the shell).

Return to “Printing Settings”