Travel Speed, First Layer Height, Flowrate Questions

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DS2017

Travel Speed, First Layer Height, Flowrate Questions

Postby DS2017 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Hey all, we are an architecture firm using the N2+ for building models.
So far pretty satisfied with the printer.

Three Questions:

1. How do I adjust travel speed once it finishes laying down a line of filament? When I try to print with no raft, a travel that goes over what it just layed down rips/curls it off the bed because it moves so fast. Picture below for clarity:
Inkedtravel_direction.jpg

White is the travel movement, blue is the way the filament rips/curls off the bed due to the fast movement.
How do I remedy this from happening? For the most part I have good bed adhesion. It's just that when I print walls, the inner fill/shell of the first layer gets ripped off a lot since they are long straight strands. Can I somehow tweak the gcode to not move in opposite way so it doesn't do this? Or slow down the specific travel movement?

2. If I print with raft, does the First Layer Height option affect the raft, or the actual print itself?

3. Flowrate is set at 94% in the Filament Settings, but then there are additional Flowrate options in Advanced Settings. Which takes precedent? For example, if First Layer Flowrate is set to 100%, is that 100% of 94%? Or does the 100% override the 94%.

Also, I see a Feed Rate option under the Tune tab of the touchscreen console. What is the difference between feed rate and flow rate?

Squenz

Re: Travel Speed, First Layer Height, Flowrate Questions

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm

1. Try to use Z-Hop in the Advanced/Extruder Tab. This setting makes the Z-axis lower upom travel moves by the amount you put in there. After the travel move the Z comes up again to target height and proceeds. But you need to have the rectraction settings in check or you see a blob here and there.

2. First layer height is the first layer of your print. Raft is not taken into calculation here.

3. Flowrate is the amount of material extruded, feed rate is the speed the head is moved, not sure it that affect all axis or just x and y, i rarely use these settings and didn't cross check if z-axis also operates at higher speed or not.

I don't know what would be the 100 % value when changing the flow rate in the display. I think the base value coming from the gcode (94% in your example) is used for 100 percent flowrate during print. If you tune down to 90 percent at the display, the actual flowrate will be the given 94% - 10 % = actual flow rate the extruder ist producing will be 84.6 percent. If it would be else, any percent of change could make a tremendous amount of extra or under extruded plastic, and it would put the operator into the need of knowing what the actual flowrate of the given file is.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Squenz wrote:1. Try to use Z-Hop in the Advanced/Extruder Tab. This setting makes the Z-axis lower upom travel moves by the amount you put in there. After the travel move the Z comes up again to target height and proceeds. But you need to have the rectraction settings in check or you see a blob here and there.

2. First layer height is the first layer of your print. Raft is not taken into calculation here.

3. Flowrate is the amount of material extruded, feed rate is the speed the head is moved, not sure it that affect all axis or just x and y, i rarely use these settings and didn't cross check if z-axis also operates at higher speed or not.

I don't know what would be the 100 % value when changing the flow rate in the display. I think the base value coming from the gcode (94% in your example) is used for 100 percent flowrate during print. If you tune down to 90 percent at the display, the actual flowrate will be the given 94% - 10 % = actual flow rate the extruder ist producing will be 84.6 percent. If it would be else, any percent of change could make a tremendous amount of extra or under extruded plastic, and it would put the operator into the need of knowing what the actual flowrate of the given file is.

hey thanks for the reply.

1. Z-hop may work, and I'll try it, but there must be a way to reduce aggressive travel speeds after it lays down a segment. I'm assuming the new acceleration and jerk settings may be related to this but I have no idea what they are.

3. Is flow rate and feed rate mutually exclusive? How can the printer change the amount of material (flowrate) without changing the speed at which it comes out (feed rate)?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 pm

As i wrote above, flow rate changes the travel speed of the filament, thus changing the amount of material extruded. Feed rate changes the speed of the axis movement of the print head.

Travel speed is defined in the speed section in the layer tab in advanced, where all speeds are set.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Squenz wrote:As i wrote above, flow rate changes the travel speed of the filament, thus changing the amount of material extruded. Feed rate changes the speed of the axis movement of the print head.

Travel speed is defined in the speed section in the layer tab in advanced, where all speeds are set.

Ah, okay I misunderstood. You Germans surprisingly have better English comprehension than us americans :lol:

So do I change the X/Y Axis Movement Speed to change the speed of the nozzle traveling when not extruding?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Yesss

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Alright one more question; what does the Default Speed mean? The advanced options pretty much breaks down every movement to its own adjustable speed. So then what movements are Default? Does decreasing the Default Speed crank down all the other speed settings by that amount too?

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Default Speed means the general speed you want to print at.

And nope, the specific, individual settings of the other speeds are also actual values. Otherwise, i'm quite sure, their values would have been designated in percent of default speed.

Return to “Printing Settings”