E2 / Nothing sticks any more

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
LuCrFr

E2 / Nothing sticks any more

Postby LuCrFr » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi

I've had my E2 working flawlessly for a year until a while ago I printed some stuff with bronze filament (using ruby nozzles) which completely clogged the system. I replaced the whole left print head and the nozzle on the right. Since then nothing sticks to the BuildTak. I was able to run the offset calibration by using some gluestick on the surface, but that's about it. I figured it must be one of three things: nozzle-build plate distance, temperature, or material.

So for 1) I've calibrated it a bunch of times, done full auto levelings, and also manually changed the z-offset in steps. No dice.
For 2) I've varied build plate (30-90 in 10 degree increments) and nozzle temperature (180-250 degrees celsius for Raise3d PLA). No dice.
For 3) Replaced the BuildTak, used different PLA:s from different manufacturers. Nope

Always the same thing - the "L" shaped printout at the edge sticks, but nothing else. It just immediately detaches from the surface and gets stuck on the nozzle that just pushes it around..

After spending several hours on this yesterday I'm at a complete loss of what to do. Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated...

Ryan@Raise3D

Re: E2 / Nothing sticks any more

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 pm

Can you let me know if you have cleaned the build surface of the build plate and can you send me a copy of your serial port log by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner → click more settings → click serial port log and export it to a USB and send the whole file.

LuCrFr

Postby LuCrFr » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:00 pm

Yes, cleaned the surface with IPA and then replaced the build surface. Attaching log - the latest thing there should be an attempt at printing the Raise3D giveaway spinner demo file.

Here is a video of the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9oGpmZZvYJwTtmLPA
Attachments
all-raisetouch-989-20220108194537.tar.gz
(1 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 pm

Thank you for the update. It does show that the z-offset is much higher than the bed than it should be and from the log it looks like the probed offset values are changing a bit and this could be showing an issue with the probe itself triggering too early and what I would like to do at this point is check if there is any debris in the probe area and to remove the cover of the remove the cover you will need to remove the screws shown in the picture
Attachments
PROBE_COVER_SCREWS.jpg

LuCrFr

Postby LuCrFr » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks Ryan. So I opened it up and didn't see anything but I cleaned with compressed air. It seems to work electromechanically as it should (slight pressure on the sensor and the green light is turned on).
20220111_082229.jpg

The last log I sent you probably did not have the z-offset calibrated, but was in one of my experimental states. So I redid the calibration.

20220111_084210 (1).jpg

Got a Z offset of 1.80 mm

Redid the bed leveling procedure.
20220111_084524.jpg

And printed the same model (Givaway spinner test print):
Same result (video):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JWSDYDjgVU28CTdV9

Attaching the log file.

Now, that's the left extruder. On the right extruder, I have a 0.8 nozzle, and I've manually calibrated the Z offset. It works.. sort of. I have to put the nozzle really close to the surface, squishing the first layer. Raising it to something that I would consider more appropriate gives a good first layer but I end up with layer shifts further up in the model. It is however possible that it is within the margin of what can be considered normal.

So I would tend to think that the problem is with the left extruder.
Attachments
all-raisetouch-989-20220111155106.tar.gz
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 31 times

LuCrFr

Postby LuCrFr » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 pm

Ok, progress. I changed the hot end and now it works.

20220112_232715.jpg

Was the hot end the root cause? Dunno. There was a blob of plastic on the top of the heater block. Could have in theory have affected the temperature but I doubt it.

20220112_233641.jpg

When I disassembled the extruder I did jiggle around the z offset probe. I did get a much larger z-offset on the factory-mounted nozzle compared to the previously factory-mounted nozzle (2.2 mm vs 1.8 mm), but that doesn't have to mean anything.

Another theory would be that the cause of everything was that the nozzle was leaking within the heater block - and that the blob of plastic on top was the effect of it, rather than the cause of the problem.

Conclusion: Works now, but I don't really have a good explanation of why replacing the hot end solved it.

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 am

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear you were able to find the cause of your issue. A leaking hot end could be causing an under extrusion of the material and this would prevent adhesion properly as there would not be the expected material squish holding the print to the bed.

Return to “Printing Settings”