Rafts and supports for pure nylon

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DirkH

Rafts and supports for pure nylon

Postby DirkH » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:46 am

I use a Raise3D pro2 with some mods (liquid cooling of hotend and extruder motors, stronger fans, different airflow around the motion controller board, temperature controlled fans in the PSU). The issue is that printing nylon without any added components causes strong warping. The specifications for the nylon I use (Fiberology NYLON PA12) are:

Print temperature 255-270°C
Heatbed temperature 90-110°C
Fan 0-10%
Flow rate 95-105%
Print speed 35-60 mm/s

Trying to avoid warping, I arrived at a print temperature of 255°, heat bed 105° and fan off.

With these settings, the objects combine so firmly with the raft or with the supports, that it is virtually impossible to separate them. I tried with fan at 5% or 10% without substantial difference.

Is there someone who is able to successfully print larger objects (15 cm or so) in pure nylon with raft or supports?

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Rafts and supports for pure nylon

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:49 am

DirkH wrote:I use a Raise3D pro2 with some mods (liquid cooling of hotend and extruder motors, stronger fans, different airflow around the motion controller board, temperature controlled fans in the PSU). The issue is that printing nylon without any added components causes strong warping. The specifications for the nylon I use (Fiberology NYLON PA12) are:

Print temperature 255-270°C
Heatbed temperature 90-110°C
Fan 0-10%
Flow rate 95-105%
Print speed 35-60 mm/s

Trying to avoid warping, I arrived at a print temperature of 255°, heat bed 105° and fan off.

With these settings, the objects combine so firmly with the raft or with the supports, that it is virtually impossible to separate them. I tried with fan at 5% or 10% without substantial difference.

Is there someone who is able to successfully print larger objects (15 cm or so) in pure nylon with raft or supports?

For most Nylons, we typically recommend not using a raft as the raft settings have to be perfectly dialed in order to separate the part from the raft. What kind of bed additive are you applying in order to get the Nylon to stick to the bed?

DirkH

Postby DirkH » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm

As adhaesive I use a noname-gluestick purchased from Prusa, 3DJAKE Adhesive Spray and 3DLac Spray. All 3 work, but the gluestick gives more consistent results and can be used with the bed in place.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:06 am

DirkH wrote:As adhaesive I use a noname-gluestick purchased from Prusa, 3DJAKE Adhesive Spray and 3DLac Spray. All 3 work, but the gluestick gives more consistent results and can be used with the bed in place.

What we find to work best with most Nylons is PVP glue stick (Another form of craft store gluestick) or Magigoo PA. We typically recommend applying a few even layers directly onto the BuildTak printing surface to get the best adhesion with Nylon materials.

DirkH

Postby DirkH » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you for your answer. Could you please comment on the question, what I could do to use supports with nylon.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:06 am

DirkH wrote:Thank you for your answer. Could you please comment on the question, what I could do to use supports with nylon.

While it is a little challenging to get working our Raise3D PVA+ is compatible with most Nylon materials.

Return to “Printing Settings”