Air gap

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jordan_s

Air gap

Postby jordan_s » Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 am

Hi all,

I'm completing a project with a Raise3D E2 printer at uni and am working with the ideaMaker slicer, which I've never used before. I've done some searching around and am unable to figure out the answer to my problem, so hoping someone here can help.

I want to create fully dense parts (line/rectilinear infill, 2 shells) with a custom raster angle (I've figured out how to do this) and a custom air gap. I am using an extrusion width of 0.4 mm. I want to use air gaps of -0.05 mm (0.05 mm overlap between neighbouring rasters, i.e. 0.35mm distance between centres of rasters), 0 mm (no overlap), and +0.05 mm (0.05 mm empty gap between rasters, i.e. 0.45 mm distance between centres of rasters).

I believe that this might be possible by using the following settings:
i) -0.05mm air gap: Set extrusion width to 0.35 mm, and set Infill Extrusion Width Multiplier to 114%
ii) no air gap: Set extrusion width to 0.4 mm, set Infill Ex. W. Mult. to 100%
iii) +0.05mm air gap: Set extrusion width to 0.45 mm, set Infill Ex. W. Mult. to 89%

Surely there has to be a better way to achieve the desired air gaps than this - I'm not sure that this actually even does what I want.
Here is a figure explaining air gap
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Air-gap-application-Source-10_fig5_271953259

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jordan

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Air gap

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm

Different values of extruder width and density of infill won't affect the value of the gap. Because these are not calculated according to the air. The infill flowrate will affect the gap.

aimeri42

Postby aimeri42 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Different values of extruder width and density of infill won't affect the value of the gap. Because these are not calculated according to the air. The infill flowrate will affect the gap.

Other slicers have the option to select an air gap, does Ideamaker offer that?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 06, 2021 3:33 am

The gap between infill lines are generated based on extrusion width and infill density. These's no option can modify the gap directly in ideaMaker. We will add your request into developing list. You can adjust flowrate at the moment.

jordan_s

Postby jordan_s » Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The gap between infill lines are generated based on extrusion width and infill density. These's no option can modify the gap directly in ideaMaker. We will add your request into developing list. You can adjust flowrate at the moment.

So based on the lines infill pattern, and an extrusion width of 0.4 mm, a 100% infill density would result in the line toolpaths being 0.4mm apart, and a 50% density would result in them being 0.8mm apart?

Is it possible to force the infill density to be greater than 100%

Thanks for your reply

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat May 08, 2021 2:01 am

It will be calculated according to extrusion wdith and density. The current Max limitation of infill density is 100%.

Return to “Printing Settings”