Printing outer shell in separate color

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Bli

Printing outer shell in separate color

Postby Bli » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am

I am trying to print the outer shell of a model in a separate color - i.e. the entire model is white, and the outer shell is printed black. In addition to this, I want the black color on the outer shell to be placed only every 20 layers. (I am trying to create a terrain model with visible contour lines).
I thought this would be possible using the "per layer settings", but I can't seem to find any way of switching extruders on the same model.

I posted in the feature requests thread about this - but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this using other methods.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Printing outer shell in separate color

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:24 am

ideaMaker doesn't have an option for define which extruder to print outer shells. Modifier can define which extruder to print which area but you will have to edit it every few layers.

Bli

Postby Bli » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks for the tip, Vicky. I'll try using modifier - and as mentioned - I'm hoping outer shell extruder could be a choice in the per-layer settings in the future.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:23 am

We will add your request into developing list.

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Bli wrote:I am trying to print the outer shell of a model in a separate color - i.e. the entire model is white, and the outer shell is printed black. In addition to this, I want the black color on the outer shell to be placed only every 20 layers. (I am trying to create a terrain model with visible contour lines).
I thought this would be possible using the "per layer settings", but I can't seem to find any way of switching extruders on the same model.

I posted in the feature requests thread about this - but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution to this using other methods.

I requested the same feature earlier since I print wood filament items and want to save cost by only printing outer shells with wood and inner with right extruder and more cheaper filament.
With all the features added now with textured infill and shell this is slso a very powerfull setting to have
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Raise3d E2 w/SliceEngineer

Return to “Printing Settings”