How to get rid of unclean layers on corners/curves?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
phildon

How to get rid of unclean layers on corners/curves?

Postby phildon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi,

today i printed a charging dock for my iphone 11 pro, with a ABS+ Filament, so far the print was succesfully and also the overall print quality (printed with normal ABS Settings) was good.

But then i noticed some unclean layers in the corners and curves.

Check the pics

Any ideas how i can get rid of this?

Greets PhilDon
Attachments
IMG_2254.JPEG
IMG_2253.JPEG
IMG_2252.JPEG
IMG_2249.JPEG
IMG_2248.JPEG

Markus64

Re: How to get rid of unclean layers on corners/curves?

Postby Markus64 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Possible solutions:

Software:
1. Reduce printing temperature
If the nozzle temperature is too high, the material will be heated up very strongly and the capacity of the fan will not be sufficient to completely cool the filament. It continues to run in an uncontrolled manner so that over-extrusion can occur in various places.

2. Decrease the flow rate
By reducing the flow factor, the amount of material conveyed can be reduced. With a flow factor of 98% you can recognize differences or completely solve the problem of the droplets.
Since the other parameters may also play an important role, you shouldn't try much here.

3. Check filament diameter
In addition, the specified filament diameter must be observed.
The slicer software calculates the required amount of material using these parameters. These values ​​in the software should match the actual values.

4. Reduce the line width
In general, the line width should be the same as the width of the nozzle. However, a small change can definitely improve the print result.

5. Expand retreat path
If you find these defects on the surface, check when the drop appears. If it occurs at the start of a layer, first extend the retreat path. Probably too much material is being pumped out at the start, i.e. a small over-extrusion occurs. Extend the distance and see if your adjustment is successful.

6. Increase the retraction speed
The retraction speed also plays an important role again.
Find a good balance with this. If, as in this case, there is too much material in the nozzle, you can counteract this problem by increasing the retraction speed.

7. Switch on coasting
Drops also occur when the pressure built up in the extruder nozzle becomes too high and squeezes out more plastic than intended.
If the drop occurs at the end of a layer, activate your coasting settings. This relieves the pressure build-up in the extruder. The extrusion switches off shortly before the end. Turn on the function and increase the value until the drop is no longer visible.

8. Reduce the printing speed
Again, an increased printing speed can cause the problem. If the settings are too extreme, the 3D printer will not be able to maintain the exact positions. This can include also cause small blobs on the outer shell.

9. Change the starting point manually
The safest option is to manually select the starting point so that it is on the inside of your model. Almost every slicer program now offers this setting option.

Hardware:
10. "Unblock" the nozzle
Check that your nozzle is clean and free of other filament debris. This will prevent these residues from loosening at some point during pressure and sticking to the outer surface.
It is generally important that the nozzle is clean and free of old material residues. Irregular material flows have a huge impact on 3D printing.
How you can "unblock" your nozzle and prevent the problem of the clogged nozzle can be found here.

11. Dry the filament
If the filament has absorbed too much moisture, your 3D printing will also be affected. The absorbed liquid is converted into steam in the nozzle. The resulting pressure is reduced above the nozzle outlet and takes the filament splash with it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:32 am

Are you referring to the small inconsistencies on the walls of the prints? Those are start and stop points. They can be made smaller by tuning retraction settings. Also, changing the seam position can help hide them in less obvious positions.

phildon

Postby phildon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:37 am

Thanks for your answers, yes i'm referring to the small points, i also thought about the Seam Point Settings, can u recommend a setting to try, maybe i should choose a fixed seam point?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:28 am

Yes, a fixed seam position would help make the start and stop points not appear so random. Also, setting the seam position to a relfex or convex corner can help hide the seam in certian parts of the model.

Return to “Printing Settings”