What is the cause of these surface artifacts?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
red

What is the cause of these surface artifacts?

Postby red » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Any idea as to why this print came out so poorly? Prior to the print, I cleared out a jam/clog and replaced the front fan. Z offsets were adjusted as well.

Pro2 using Raise3D PLA.

More or less stock "speed" template, with a few tweaks, (namely infill reduction).

Thanks.

EDIT - I just realized that my "Filament Settings" in Ideamaker were still set to ABS from a prior print. I am unclear to me as to when if at all that affects the print, however. Though flow-rate with ABS was 100%, with PLA being 94%. I could see that being an issue.

IMG_20200713_121940 (1).jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: What is the cause of these surface artifacts?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:47 am

Those should be Layer start and stop points. You can adjust the seam position to fixed for a straight seam line.

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Those should be Layer start and stop points. You can adjust the seam position to fixed for a straight seam line.

Hi Vicky, thank you for your reply. I am not sure I understand. Also, I should point out that this issue is new, and has not occurred in the past, at least not to this degree.

Here is a print I did overnight. I should note that this is after changing the "filament settings" from ABS with 100% feedrate to PLA with 94%. However the issue persists.

Thanks again.
IMG_20200714_115320.jpg

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pm

What printer are you running?

You need to look at your retraction settings. Retraction, retraction speed, extra restart (might need to add a little negative there) and coast will all impact extra material that the perimeter start point.

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm

zemlin wrote:What printer are you running?

You need to look at your retraction settings. Retraction, retraction speed, extra restart (might need to add a little negative there) and coast will all impact extra material that the perimeter start point.

Hey - Thank you for your reply.

I am using a Pro 2 with a more or less default "speed" slicing template. This is a new issue, for what it's worth.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:26 pm

3D printing isn't plug-and-play. A different material color, different brand, different moisture level ... or just a different spool sometimes. It will do you good to play with the retraction settings and learn what those settings are for.

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:38 pm

zemlin wrote:3D printing isn't plug-and-play. A different material color, different brand, different moisture level ... or just a different spool sometimes. It will do you good to play with the retraction settings and learn what those settings are for.

Thanks. I am aware that it isn't plug-and-play (not sure how I lent that impression), and am familiar with retraction, (though have not changed it from the stock setting in the past). While I am relatively new to FFF, I have been printing for 5 or so years (albeit with plenty more to learn). Indeed there are many variables. I will play around with the retraction settings. Thanks again.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:12 am

BTW, make sure you are using the latest version of ideaMaker. We are keeping on adding new features and improve printing settings according to users' feedbacks.

red

Postby red » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:BTW, make sure you are using the latest version of ideaMaker. We are keeping on adding new features and improve printing settings according to users' feedbacks.

Thanks, I have indeed been using the up-to-date version of ideaMaker.

red

Postby red » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:BTW, make sure you are using the latest version of ideaMaker. We are keeping on adding new features and improve printing settings according to users' feedbacks.

For what it's worth, the issue is occuring with both extruders.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:03 pm

If its occurring on both extruders then it's most likely settings related. Retraction settings can help make the start and stop points smaller.

Return to “Printing Settings”