Flow rate affects Z travel

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
ralphwishart

Flow rate affects Z travel

Postby ralphwishart » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been having problems with my N1 dual extruders relating to Z height/flow rate. My prints come out shorter than the solid. As a 5 axis machinist, I am well versed on ISO code and have gone through my codes but can't find anything that would alter the number of steps for the Z axis servo I even check the height mid print but the height shown on the progress screen does not corespond to the acutual height on the Z axis (the layer does). The Part I need to print is 57mm tall so I created a gauge block 15x15x57mm to try to calibrate the extrusion as to print the correct height and the right amount of material (in my world these should be two separated things). but to my surprise, the same code prints parts ranging from 42mm to 57! The way I understand the issue with M221 is that you need to run the whole program in order to reset the extrusion to 100 some times I do, other times I need to stop the printer to avoid putting too much load on the servo. I think it's an software issue because when I jog the build plate, it moves to the correct amount as displayed on the LCD. the closest I can get to an acceptable part is with the flow rate around 94%

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Flow rate affects Z travel

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 am

While flowrate can affect dimensional accuracy slightly we normally don't see it affect the part by more than a mm or 2 at the very most.
Please help print a small calibration cube and check the printed out size.

ralphwishart

Postby ralphwishart » Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply,
I did print the 20x20x10 calibration cube, it comes out alright the problem becomes more tangible att taller prints, from 25 mm and beyond.

Ralph

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Would you like to get some images of the print defects?
Can you help measure the 20mm calibration cube with a pair of calipers? While the cube may appear to look okay we want to make sure it is accurate.

Return to “Printing Settings”