How exactly does z-hop work?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
madsci

How exactly does z-hop work?

Postby madsci » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:51 pm

If enabled, does z-hop lower the bed for EVERY travel motion between extrusions?

What z-hop parameter is a good setting to start with? .3mm? .5mm? 1mm? more?

I got such a dramatic improvement in printing success by introducing a bit of z-hop that it made me wonder why the damb thing doesn't "hop" by default. I've been been struggling for since I bought the Pro2 (6 months!) with printouts being knocked off their moorings, apparently due to the lack of z-hop.

Are there other reasons, besides the lack of z-hop, that might account for knocking into the printout?

Besides a roughly 10% increase in printing time, what other downsides are there to setting z-hop?

Do most people who are good at 3D printing set up some z-hop? Or do they avoid it for some reason?

I'd appreciate any insights here.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: How exactly does z-hop work?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 am

Z hop will only happen at retraction point. If you see a lot Z hop generated, it means the model have a lot retraction points.
If you want to check where the retracton points are, you can enable "Show Retraction" in Preview.

madsci

Postby madsci » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Thank you Vicky. I have to say that I’m more confused though. I don’t understand why or how the slicer chooses specific points for retraction, so I can’t see why z-hop would be exclusively linked to those points.

The knocking problem is most evident when I attempt to print several smaller parts in one go. Are you saying that there are circumstances in which knocking into previously printed elements is impossible to avoid?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11 am

To decide where needs retraction will be up to the value you set for Minimal Travel of Retraction and Minimal Amount of Retraction which are the minimal travel distance required after doing retraction and the minimal extrusion amount required before doing a retraction, or it doesn't meet the requirement, there will be no retraction enabled.

Return to “Printing Settings”