Resumed paused print after loading a new roll - resulted in air print - Ideas?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
red

Resumed paused print after loading a new roll - resulted in air print - Ideas?

Postby red » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Hey all - I ran out of filament last night during a print. Fortunately it was a test print using a newly installed 1mm nozzle, so no huge deal. However, I came in this morning, loaded a new roll and hit "resume print". Came back 5 or so minutes later to find it was air printing with no filament being fed.

Canceled, cleaned off the platform and did a quick test print of the 20mm block. Filament fed and it printed fine.

Did I miss a step to ensure the filament would feed? Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Resumed paused print after loading a new roll - resulted in air print - Ideas?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 pm

After you put the new filament in, did you wait and see the new filament being extruded from nozzle before continue the print?

red

Re: Resumed paused print after loading a new roll - resulted in air print - Ideas?

Postby red » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:After you put the new filament in, did you wait and see the new filament being extruded from nozzle before continue the print?

I did. However now that I think about it, it may be that what I was seeing being pushed out was remnants from the last roll, and perhaps the new filament hadn't quite taken hold.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 am

That's possible. Try wait longer and make sure that the extrusion is even and continus then start the new printer next time.

icy_snake

Postby icy_snake » Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm

I run in the close same problem.

But what i did: I stop the motors with the button on the display and moved the head in xy direction to have more space. after new filament was in with enough output I resumed the process.

But know the problme start!!

the printer was complete out of xy.

Solution. please re adjust the head again to x,y,z to the last position before restarting printing!!!

thanks
ICY_SNAKE

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm

If you move the printhead after it has homed, the printer is not going to return to the correct postion any more.
If the machine is paused it will automatically home itself so that it is in the correct positon when it continues printing.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun May 03, 2020 1:42 am

icy_snake wrote:But what i did: I stop the motors with the button on the display and moved the head in xy direction to have more space.

That's your mistake. The vast majority of 3D printers are using open-loop position control. The assumption is made that the steppers are not missing steps and so all the moves are, essentially, relative. There is no position feedback to the controller.

When you kill the motors and move the head by hand, the control system does not know that anything is happening. If the head is not returned PRECISELY to where it was when the print stopped, it's not going to be aligned with the prior printing.

Don't use the STOP MOTORS button if you're going to continue the build.

Return to “Printing Settings”