Dual Extrusion via IdeaMaker... SUCKS

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
LittleRocketMan

Dual Extrusion via IdeaMaker... SUCKS

Postby LittleRocketMan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Title says it all - How in the world am I supposed to print dual extrusion prints using the LH Extruder for one filament type and the RH Extruder for a different type while using IdeaMaker software and Pro2 Plus?

I don’t understand why the heck the ‘select template’ screen has the option for selecting two different filament types - that’s cool, I guess, but pointless as far as I can tell, because below that it only allows the user to select ONE template that applies to everything being sliced, which comes from the left Extruder filament. What’s the purpose of the Right Extruder filament list? Seems to me it defeats the purpose of ‘dual extrusion.’

The only work-around I’ve been able to find requires literally going one-by-one and using the ‘Per-Group’ settings to individually (and tediously) re-create my template for the RH Extruder filament so I can print using both extruders with one material on the LH, and a different material on the RH during that same print. Seems very pointless and honestly quite dumb to do so this way - Software is not intuitive whatsoever. Some community and Raise3D input would be greatly appreciated.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Dual Extrusion via IdeaMaker... SUCKS

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 am

If you set override settings under Filament Settings, then select the Second Filament will affect the settings in template. There are some preset override settings in PVA template. You can select PVA for right nozzle and check out how it works.

DidntGoBoom

Postby DidntGoBoom » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Just hit this this morning. I have PETG in the left, and PLA in the right.

On select template dialog, choose Pro2 as printer, PETG as left filament, PLA as right filament. So far so good.

For the template tab - there is one. There are 2 extruders. ???? Should be a Left Template and a Right Template or something.

Finish the slice, send to the printer. Set both nozzles for 255 degrees. Wrong.

Yes, I know, I can go into the selected template and change temperatures, etc, for the second extruder. But I should not have to. Unless I'm totally missing something there's a serious design flaw here.

Patronus

Postby Patronus » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 pm

I have also found IM less than intuitive for dual extrusion, especially if you mix and match materials all the time like I do. In the end I can get most things done with IM (Vicky has been great in giving advice) but duel extrusion handling doesn't feel slick and efficient in my opinion. What I would love is if IM treated the extruders completely independently, in other words if I build over time the perfect settings for a specific brand of ABS I can then load that settings for either extruder. Then I can load my perfect settings for another material for the other extruder. Maybe tomorrow I want to do it the other way around. It should be effortless and take 5 seconds to assign a profile to an extruder and from that moment on that extruder prints using that profile. They will of course have to share global settings such as bed temp and layer height (although I'm sure with some effort the latter could also vary if the one is a multiple of the other). And then on top of that you can have modifiers, per model settings, etc if necessary.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:38 am

Thanks for your comments.
About temperature of different filament, you can set override settings under Filament Settings. For the rest, we are trying to figure out how to make things more clear and helpful.

mike

Postby mike » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 am

using 2 extruders is very difficult.
the main problem is, that we can select a filament per nozzle but just one template for the main print.
i think there should be an option to select the filaments per nozzle and the print settings per nozzle as 2 seperated profiles.

in the global profile there should be as less as possible which is common to both nozzles.
so solid fill should be a filament profile instead of a global profile. maybe we want red filament solid and white filament 80%

Patronus

Postby Patronus » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Exactly.

Return to “Printing Settings”