PLEASE HELP with ASA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DaveWAVE2

PLEASE HELP with ASA

Postby DaveWAVE2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:59 pm

For the love of God someone please help me with this printer!

I'm using newly purchased 3D TECH ASA on Pro2+ on a glass bed. I started with 3D TECH's ASA profile.

Note: Printer was purchased used and missing filament guide tube.

I have tried various settings with retraction, speed, fan speed, flow rate, temp, etc. I've tightened loose nuts and screws, checked the belts, confirmed that the couplers are fine (replaced one). I've moved the model to different areas on the bed and rotated it.

For this print I used 110º bed temp, 260º extruder temp, .2 layer height, retraction enabled at material amount 1.0 and speed 40.0. Default print speed set to 50. As per 3D Tech profile, primary filament flowrate is overridden at 94%. Note I have tried subtle and major deviations from this with no luck.

The raft prints perfectly each time but things degrade as it rises, with more issues on the Y axis and the backside X axis from what I can tell.

PLEASE, anyone printing in ASA please help!
Attachments
IMG_0486.jpg

zemlin

Re: PLEASE HELP with ASA

Postby zemlin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

I've never printed ASA. I don't have a PRO. The screws on the flanges of the Z axis ball screws are supposed to be loose to prevent binding.

Patronus

Postby Patronus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm

This does not look normal at all. I print ASA (Formfutura Apollo X) all the time and it comes out almost flawlessly. In my experience regular ABS settings will take you 95% there. Your settings appear ok from what I can tell. What are your nozzle settings and extrusion width? What is the size of the nozzle on the machine?
Do you only have the problem with this specific ASA or with other materials also? What happens when you print PLA with PLA settings or ABS with ABS settings on this machine?

DaveWAVE2

Postby DaveWAVE2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for your help. I really need it.

I bought the printer used and believe that the nozzle is stock .4. I have the extrusion width set to .45 although I have played with it with no better results.

I have only used the printer for ABS (Tiertime UP used for my Up Box+ printers) on the stock bed, and ASA (3D Tech) on a glass bed. The issue appears with both types. The glass bed for ASA was recommended by the guy who sold me the machine and it adheres well.

When I first installed the glass I homed the printer by mistake and the nozzle pressed into the glass. It didn't break the glass but I could immediately tell it was jamming. I tried using the touchscreen to lower the bed but it wouldn't, so I shut the machine off, lowered the bed and then adjusted the nozzle height. The event lasted maybe 30 to 45s. Could have damaged/misaligned the Z rods?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:48 pm

I don't think those steppers would have enough power to do any damage to the machine.

Patronus

Postby Patronus » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Dave, the type of build plate you use (glass in this case) has no effect on the print quality, just on bed adhesion. Your problem in my opinion is extrusion related. Ramming the nozzle into the glass is unlikely to damage the structure or mechanics of the machine, and even if it did it would not affect the way plastic is extruded. However it may have damaged the nozzle tip so that extrusion isn't as neat as it should be. I have never seen that happen but it is a possibility.
What happens if you print the same model with the other extruder?
To me it looks like one of the following is happening:
1. The software thinks you have a large nozzle, such as 0.8mm, whereas you have a 0.4mm nozzle (please double check - it is stamped on the nozzle) so the machine pushes a ton of material through it and you get extreme over extrusion, which will look exactly like what you have there. Does Ideamaker know you have a 0.4mm nozzle (not to be confused with extrusion width, you'll find nozzle size under Printer > Printer Settings)
2. Your nozzle is somehow deformed either because of your incident but maybe the previous owner printed carbon fibre or other abrasive material with it and it's worn out.

You'll test both these scenarios by either swapping the nozzles (or better, try a new original Raise3d nozzle) or simply printing with the other extruder which hopefully has a good nozzle.

DaveWAVE2

Postby DaveWAVE2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi @Patronus

I wanted to thank you for your advice (better late than never).

I'm getting much better prints now and am using an ASA slop for very good adhesion. But my latest issue seems to be that the glass plate might be moving causing severe layer lines. I've tried adding washers to the two screws and using painter's tape on the edges, but that doesn't seem to help.

Have you or someone in the community ever applied ASA slop to the removable Raise bed? I'm thinking that would remove the glass plate moving from the equation, but don't want to damage the removable plate to test.

Thanks again-

Return to “Printing Settings”