PLA Warping? Is it the fan or the PLA?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
AirtomicEng

PLA Warping? Is it the fan or the PLA?

Postby AirtomicEng » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:47 pm

My company just purchased a Pro2 Plus and I've been having some very frustrating trouble when printing with pla. The short of it is, the PLA is warping. Specifically, its "necking" my prints for the first 10 mm. I've been using Raise3D's supreme PLA. Sometimes it prints perfectly, others it turns into a mess!

I'm starting to wonder if its the filament, because I noticed some blobs of something like oil or grease ooze out of the nozzles when I primed them this morning.

The only other idea I can think of is that the cooling fans are cooling the PLA too fast and causing it to warp. *shrugs*

Any other ideas?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: PLA Warping? Is it the fan or the PLA?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:08 pm

The printing warping can be related to improper Z offset. The nozzle may be a little far to build plate to provice enough adhesion to hold the model.
https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series ... 4-223.html
https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series ... 4-225.html

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:34 pm

PLA is more likely to warp from lack of cooling than it is from too much cooling. Generally, with PLA, I've found that the more cooling you can provide directly to the print the better it performs.

What temperature are you printing at?

AirtomicEng

Postby AirtomicEng » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 pm

detroitus wrote:PLA is more likely to warp from lack of cooling than it is from too much cooling. Generally, with PLA, I've found that the more cooling you can provide directly to the print the better it performs.

I'm using 100% cooling at 205 C. The print I'm referring to warped is a simple 3 inch diameter ring, but warped almost 1/4" out of round.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:18 pm

AirtomicEng wrote:
detroitus wrote:PLA is more likely to warp from lack of cooling than it is from too much cooling. Generally, with PLA, I've found that the more cooling you can provide directly to the print the better it performs.

I'm using 100% cooling at 205 C. The print I'm referring to warped is a simple 3 inch diameter ring, but warped almost 1/4" out of round.

Can you share pictures of the warped part? I have a few questions... Have you printed the same part multiple times with identical results or do they vary? Do you print with the top off and the door open (you probably should)?

markm

Postby markm » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:59 am

I would go with Vicky's suggestion, check you leveling and clean your bed. I had a horrible time with warping printing large thin shell parts. I took to printing brims but but I cleaned and tuned it and I haven't seen warping since. And I print with cooling turned off with PLA.

Return to “Printing Settings”