Taulman 910 warping

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Slycat

Taulman 910 warping

Postby Slycat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Using the profile from the Open Filaments Program
Gnarly warping using buildtak + gluestick
Dropped in a PEI sheet, no glue, warping
Glue on PEI, warping starts later in the print
Raft or brim makes no difference, increased bed temp from default 50C to 90C, warping begins later

Part is 4" diam. by 1" tall

Any 910 success stories and tips?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Taulman 910 warping

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:00 pm

On our side, we usually use PVP glue on buildtak. And please make sure that you have closed all the doors and put the top lid on to maintain the chamber temperature.

Slycat

Postby Slycat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:59 pm

I am worried ambient air temp is the issue. The Pro2+ is a massive chamber to keep heated.
Will attempt again with the bed hotter and pre-heat the bed for 10 minutes or so to heat the air inside

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 pm

I had this same problem and finally did what Taulman suggests to do: Print directly on glass using PVA. I could not get it to work on the Buildtak no matter how much i tried. I set build plate to 45C and let the chamber warm up thoroughly. Extruder was set to 245C. Lastly, don't try to print fast with any nylon -- even the 910. Try 40mm. At 60, I got layer separation. At 250C I started losing some resolution and at 240 I, again, got layer separation.

I was printing gears and they needed to be very nice right off the build plate.

Btw, I often heat the chamber for 1/2 hour before a print with ABS if the part is big. I get zero warping, BUT the warm up time is crucial.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:46 pm

Preheat will help to warm the chamber before printing a lot.
But based on our experience the glue helps a lot as well.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm

I print a lot of nylons and you really have to stick to the 45°C on the bed - Elmer's brand glue stick on PEI has always worked well for me even on printers that aren't enclosed. I use a brim as well if the part has geometry that is going to make it prone to warping or if it has a small footprint. You have to get the first layer nailed - you want somewhat flat extrusions that blend into each other on the first layer - either adjust the gap or increase the first layer fill and print the first layer slow (15mm/s).

I also have a Garolite print surface on one of my beds which is the best option if you plan on printing a lot of nylon.

I print 910 a bit hotter than others have recommended because I'm often looking for the best possible layer adhesion - 255-260 sometimes even 265.

This is right from Taulman:

Alloy 910
Print temp = 250C - 260C
Nozzle = any size
Print speed = equivalent to ABS
Retraction = 3-4mm
Print bed = Hot = Glass heated to 45C with coat of PVA
Cold = BuildTak with coat of PVA
NOTE: Black Alloy 910 may appear to be Gray on the spool, however prints black.

Slycat

Postby Slycat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:19 pm

After reading the Taulman site suggestions I attempted going cold with gluestick on the buildtak... held in place and never seperated. Was a pain to remove from the buildtak but no lifting from the bed at all; two 4" diameter prints held on a completely cold plate.

I'll try to heat the chamber up like JohnSays suggests on the next go-around

EDIT: further investigation, noticed a strange anomaly on top layers
Guessing this is caused by the cold temps in the enclosure?

Slycat

Postby Slycat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 pm

After trying to use a heated bed & chamber I still get bed separation & there is no progress on the top layer anomalies

Return to “Printing Settings”